Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wishes Posts: 98, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2008, 08:00 AM
    What should I get to replace my rabbit?
    My rabbit just died :( I really lvoed him and I really love animals and I want another one. I already aheva dog and a cat but don't want fish and that boring stuff and I'm scared of lizards any tips?? I also want it to be cuddly and loving and my mum doesn't want it to be dirty a lot...
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 08:02 AM

I like rats as they are inquisitive, clean and enjoy human company.

Oct 12, 2008, 08:13 AM

Rats!! No lol... but thanks a whole lot
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 08:16 AM

The poor things just suffer from a bad reputation!
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Oct 13, 2008, 09:39 PM

I also agree rats would be a good choice - despite the negative image their wild brethren give them. Pet rats are exceptionally intelligent, good natured and a lot of fun. But if you are unable to look past the stereotypes then I would suggest gerbils. They are low maintenance pets and require significantly less cage cleanings since they are desert animals (they pee less then a drop a day), they rarely bite and only under serious stress unlike their hamster cousins, and are very curious and fun.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2008, 10:00 PM

Just be aware that gerbils aren't legal everywhere. California doesn't allow them. In fact, California doesn't allow many of the pocket pets and reptiles that are allowed in other states. (Also somewhat amusingly, it specifically list "African lion" on the banned list. Asian lions are apparently OK, as are all the other big cats.)
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 03:58 AM

Well if you are looking for something cute and cuddly that you can leave alone while you are gone to school or work for the day and not have to worry about them. Or you are looking for something small but very loving towards you. Than I know just the thing you are looking for. Though you would need to research on your own before you get one . The creature I am talking about is a CHINCHILLA. I have pictures of my chinchillas in my album on here. And my picture by my name is smokey my basic gray chinchilla. You need to research carefully because there are a lot of lies out there. There are many kinds of poisonus wood out in the world for chinchillas. I only use un-sprayed apple and pine as I know they are both safe for them to chew on. Also their little tummys are sensitive so you can't immediately change their food on them without doing it by mixing it with the old food. And they cannot have fruits due to the high sugar in them. They eat hay and pellets. I use timothy hay and alfalfa pellets (they have a little alfalfa in them) so they get some of each kind of hay. If you use the same kind for both loose and pellets you can run the risk of diarehha. My chinchillas come play on the couch with me every day. They come for drives with me (they love drives) I use a little farret leash and halter. (on the smallest size mind you haha because they can slip out easy enough) And you can't get them wet. They have very dense fur and it does not dry out quick enough and they can get sick and not last long :(. Though I know a girl who keeps hers in the bathroom for playtime and he fell in the toilet once. All she did was blow dry him on a low setting. But it scared him a bit. They are very curious. And you can also litter box train them. They don't smell. And their dropping are small and oval shaped... don't know if you wanted to know that but :D... one other thing about them is . They cannot get fleas or ticks. But they can get ear mites if they are in unclean living arrangements.
    Prices can vary. Some areas in the world have rescue associations for them. Or there are breeders. I would recommend not buying one from a pet store due to health problems they can have. (one problem is fur chewing. Its genetically carried on. Same with teeth deformitys) I'll give you some examples of pricing. A basic gray (the Normal color you get) in a pet store would be 185.00 before taxes. But I don't recommend that. From breeders they usually range from 45 to 80 or 100 dollars. Now I also own a homo beige and a mosaic white. They are worth seriously around 300 dollars. And the more rare the genetic mutation of color the more expensive they will be.

Oct 17, 2008, 08:58 AM

thank u all for your help but a chincilla over here costs about 200 and my mum doesn't like the idea of spending that much on a pet... I think I'm going to get a gerbil... thank u all again for your help x.x.x.x.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 09:13 AM

Wow. Well let her know. That the good thing with chinchillas is they can live for a very long time. I find they are low cost and don't smell. Good luck with a gerbil if you get one. Clean the cage often. I found gerbils kindof smell
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Oct 17, 2008, 09:22 AM

Also, since you made the excellent choice of gerbils, I also might suggest a pair of brothers/sisters. They are very social animals ans prefer to have eachothers company. If you do only get one, however, make sure it is provided with plenty of attention and things to play with. They LOVE the cardboard inserts from toilet paper rolls and paper towels. They shred them to pieces of course but they have a blast doing it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Replace copper with flex-tubing under k-sink, replace faucet [ 13 Answers ]

I need a new faucet in the kitchen. Old lines are copper and sweated in. Can a novice do-it-yourselfer change the copper lines to flex-steel, and put in a new faucet, or do we need a plumber? We are willing to learn.. Where can I find detailed information on how to do it? Step by step?

My Rabbit [ 3 Answers ]

My rabbit was hopping outside and her foot got stuck in a piece of wire near the fence. As she tried to get it out I guess the pulling from it injured her front right leg. I carried her by the vet and she said that the muscle is just a little sore and to keep massaging it and she will start back...

I want to replace or upgrade replace 50yrold tub faucet on wall [ 4 Answers ]

I want to replace or upgrade replace 50 yrold tub faucet w/2 handle plus faucet on wall, either delta or amer stand. Any product suggestions? Not worried about price.

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

My rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

;) hello, My rabbit is called dillie dolli and she won't let me put my hand in her cage. She lunges for my hand and it's the same when I am feeding her . What shall I do ? Also can I cliker train her to do stuff. :rolleyes: Thank you Tiny Rue:cool:

View more questions Search