Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tharper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Cast iron toilet flange
    How do I remove an old cast iron toilet flange to and install a compression flange.
    I'm uncertain how to get the old flange off.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 12, 2008, 04:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tharper View Post
    How do I remove an old cast iron toilet flange to and install a compression flange.
    I'm uncertain how to get the old flange off.
    Takea hammer and break it out. After you break out the flange take a wood chisel and cut the lead rinng and peel it out. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 05:02 AM

While you braking off the flange with hammer - be careful not to break the pipe !
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 06:13 AM
    You can use just a hammer or a hammer and a cold chisel.

I break these off by cracking at the thickest part of the flange with chisel and try to achieve a lengthwise crack along the flange... then I do same on opposite side and flange usually falls apart. Then you will find a lead and oakum material inside flange. Just cut the lead with the chisel (lead is pretty soft) and pull old oakum out to finish.

Wear safety glasses!

Lastly, you could also DRILL the old lead out using a 1/4" to 3/8" drill bit. Just drill a few holes down through the lead (about an inch down) and then take large screwdriver and try to pry the old lead up and out... then rock the flange with hammer or flatbar to leverage the old flange up and off.

Personally, I always use hammer and chisel... hit hard and accurate and this goes very fast.

You can replace the flange with a new TWIST AND SET closet flange (see picture)... available at home depot or Lowe's home improvement store.

Good luck!

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron toilet flange [ 9 Answers ]

I have to replace the floor under the toilet because it was rotten. The toilet flange is cast iron (the house is over 60 years old); it is still in excellent shape. I prefer not to remove the flange from the cast iron pipe (I am an amateur, and don’t like to mess around with these ancient...

Replacing a cast iron toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My cast iron toilet flange broke at the bolt areas and looks like it was never replaced. The house is 50 years old. The pipe is cast iron as well and measures 4-1/4" OD and 3-1/2" ID. I removed the old flange and noticed there was what appeared to a lead seal holding it in place. Based on the...

Cast iron toilet flange the bolt holes will not hold how do we fix it and the flange [ 1 Answers ]

We have a cast iron flange and the bolt holes are not useable can we cut off the top and add a new plastic flange

Cast Iron Toilet Flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing my toilet and found that the cast iron toilet flange is broken where one of the bolts that hold the toilet should go. This was a crescent shaped slot, but the outer rim is broken and missing. I was going to replace the flange, but can't see how it is fastened to the drain pipe. ...

Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this: 1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e....

View more questions Search