Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susy Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

May 28, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Is this because she is not spayed?
    :confused: hi, this is a great forum, and that is why I want to ask for any advice to my dog's behavior. She is a 6 year old ****zu, she is totally unfriendly with people ( not with dogs).She was like that since she was 2 years old, but it got worst. Every time, I have visitors, she keeps barking until they are gone. She barks for any single sound, and ever time somebody rings the bell. When I take her to a walk, (and if the street is alone) if she sees somebody, she starts to bark. When I take her to the vet, she is fearful, but she is unpredictable. Sometimes I think that a trainer will not work. To spay her I need to pay $550. Is there any vet hospital that can do it for less expencive?
    What should I do?
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 28, 2006, 08:34 PM
    My first answer is YES by all means spay her.. This will change a lot of behavior issues. I'm not sure where you live but 550.00 is OUTRAGOUS for a spay! Holly cow. Please give a little more insight as to your location ( without being too specific) so I can be of further help...
    I must tell you that a spay will not be the save all end all to behavioral issues however, this dog needs some serious socialization and training. You will need to work hard to correct years of bad behavior. It can be done and it will take commitment and patience, There are a number of great books and web sites out there on training and retraining dogs.. one of my favorites is " dog training for dummies" It's very straight forward and easy to follow. I hope this was some help, and please do update as to where you are, there are a lot of resources out there for spay and neuter help.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 28, 2006, 08:34 PM
    Some breeds of dogs require a lot more socializing to prevent behaviors like you are mentioning here. And unfortunately its harder now that she is older, but you know that saying about "can't teach an old dog new tricks" is meant more for people than dogs, in my experience.

If you are unclear how to train her out of it, by all means seek a trainer. The right one can bring a wealth of information to you and help you help your dog in more ways than just this.

I doubt very seriously that spaying her will modify her territorial insecurities very much. As for a low cost spay clinic, call your local animal shelter - they are certain to know if there is one in your town.

Thanks for posting and good luck!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Hi, susy,
    YES, have her spayed! Dogs are naturally aggressive, especially females! Having her spayed will calm her down, and also being around other dogs will make her not so aggressive. Other dogs know instantly, when they go through their "smelling" of each other, that she has been spayed, and will be less aggressive toward her.
    The price you gave seems to be very high. but I don't know the local area in which you live. Here in my local area, in VA, one Vet charges $50. I don't know the charge by the other.
    Now about her barking. She barks because she is in control of you; she is the boss. You have to change it, so you will be boss, and be in control of her. She will be a much happier dog, if you take control. It will relieve her of thinking she has all this responsibility! By nature, she is not supposed to have to keep "warning" you of someone around. It's a great strain on her.
    First thing to do, take her for brisk 45 min walks everyday. Dogs usually don't get enough exercise, and they are never "tired out", as they should be. A tired dog will not be as aggressive. If you have a back yard, then let her out, running with her, and making her run, exercise, and tire her out.
    Here is some very good information, on a TV program, if you get this channel:
    It's AWESOME, and the program deals mostly with aggression, barking!
    I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist. He rehabilitates dogs, and trains people.

He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights mainly, but also comes on some other days. This video is available from:
    http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/
    I also ordered his new book, "Ceaser's Way", from Walmart online, around $15 US, and it's very good!

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention.

Another good TV channel is Animal Planet, specifically, Good Dog U. It gives training advice also. But, Ceaser Millan is my favorite, showing you EXACTLY how and what to do. You have to "train" yourself first, in order to let your dog know what you expect of her. Up until now, she is doing what she wants to do, not what you want her to do. Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neutering/spayed after pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

When can a pregnant cat be fixed

Incision Infection in Spayed Dog [ 1 Answers ]

My doxie-terrier pups were spade on Monday and have for the most part been recovering normally. Abby pulled out a couple of stitches Tuesday night, but the vet didn't seem overly concerned about it and assured us that her incision would heal normally. He also gave us Elizabethan collars for both...

Need Help/Info on Kitten Just Spayed... [ 6 Answers ]

undefinedundefined I am really worried and thought I would join here and see if someone could answer my question. I have an 7 month old female kitten I had spayed Thursday. It is now Satuday and shehas not had anything to eat or drink since 8pm Wednesday. I'm really worried. She had been moaning...

Recently spayed dog barely eating.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 5 year old dog (pic below) which was spayed almost 6 days ago. She barely drinks or eats anything at all. She just nibbles a few small bites of food and then just leaves it. The dog had a very healthy appetite before this... eating about (2) 16oz cans of food, and a bowl of dry...

View more questions Search