Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 10:52 PM
    Republican/Democrat vs. Welfare
    So, perhaps I should start with a story. A group of friends and a few acquaintances were having a politic discussion. Well, a friend of mine mentioned she was on state medical (she is paralyzed), and a person said something to the effect of, "you must be an Obama lover, most people on Welfare are Democrats...actually most Democrats are on Welfare." This really hurt her, and really irritated me.

Now, I was wondering where I would find out the statistics of registered voters that are on Welfare to find out what percentage are registered to which party.

Please help me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 07:08 AM

Short of polls, as to low income areas, which are normally democratic.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 12:27 PM

CUTTING TAXES FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T PAY TAXES.

Do you really want to know how in the world Barack Obama is going to cut taxes on 95% of Americans when 45% of these Americans don't pay income taxes in the first place? You should already know the answer to this question... but if you've been listening to too much sports talk radio, here you go. It's very simple. Obama will just pass a series of new tax credits for the Americans. Tax credits --- sounds pretty good, doesn't it? Those tax credits will lower taxes for just about everyone! Well... there are a few things you need to know about these so-called credits.

First... these tax credits will not be available to the evil high income earners who we rely on to create the new jobs that will help our economy grow. The tax credits are only for people who might be likely to vote democrat.

Secondly... they're not just tax credits, they're "refundable" tax credits. In other words, they're a fraud. As we know, about 45% of Americans don't pay income taxes. A tax credit is not useful to someone who owes no income taxes... unless, that is, it is a "refundable" credit. Now what does that mean? It means that if you do not make enough to pay income taxes, the government will simply write you a check equal to the amount of the credit you can't use! Do you know what we used to call this? Welfare, that's what. Barack Obama's promise of a tax cut for 95% of Americans is really nothing less than a promise of a new welfare income redistribution program.
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 12:28 PM
    So in short, if Obama is elected, that will be most of us.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Oct 11, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Well, a friend of mine mentioned she was on state medical (she is paralyzed), and a person said something to the effect of, "you must be an Obama lover, most people on Welfare are Democrats...actually most Democrats are on Welfare."

Please help me.
    To answer your question "yes." It's a fact there are more welfare recipients that are registered Democrat, than Republican. However there are more people registered Democrat in the US, than Republican. So now you have to figure it by percentages and I don't have the numbers in front of me. Factually speaking most Democrats are not on welfare. Anyway to provide you an argument, say that you're thankful for the Democrat party, along with non-profit organizations, helping paralyzed victims that wouldn't otherwise be able to help themselves. Then bring up that some of our military personnel arrives home from war permanently disabled.
    Vision Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 08:44 PM

THanks for the insight, Magprob, but that wasn't my question.
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 08:48 PM

I know but I don't know the answer so I took the opportunity to rant. Sorry.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 09:07 PM

Call or visit your public library. There are government statistics available there, online or in print.

Its website is down for maintenance right now, but the Social Security Administration has put data profiling SSI recipients online, as well as information on the earnings and employment of Social Security-eligible U.S. workers.
    Vision Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 09:14 PM

Thank you Wondergirl.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2008, 04:57 AM

It was a stupid ignorant thing to say . How many corporations are recipients of "welfare " and what is the political affiliation of their principles ?

There is no proof that an Obama presidency will impact state disability
    (which is different from "Welfare "anyway ) eligibilty or payments one way or the other.

Not sure you will get that information . I know surveys are done based on things like race ;but I doubt that a survey has broken it down to political party. I don't even think the census goes into that depth.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 13, 2008, 09:25 PM

Obama may have edge with disabled - Ben Adler - Politico.com

Some can only truly depend on state / federal aid.

Others feel that state / federal aid is an entitlement.
    American52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2010, 04:17 PM
    It's simple... look at California, New York, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey and the shape they are in due to welfare. They are all Democrat states and they all have HUGE budget deficits. Every Blue state has higher deficits because of entitlement programs initiated by Democrats.
    American52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2010, 04:17 PM
    It's simple... look at California, New York, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey and the shape they are in due to welfare. They are all Democrat states and they all have HUGE budget deficits. Every Blue state has higher deficits because of entitlement programs initiated by Democrats.
    siefinm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 06:54 AM
    There are far too many people on Welfare and various government assistance (food stamps, etc) in America but the vast majority are Democrats. I know a typical Democrat that says she will stay on any kind of government assistance as long as she is allowed. She works a part time job and says she has no desire to get a better job. She spends a great deal of her time sitting around drinking (beer) with her friends and pretty much letting her kids do as they wish. I also have a sibling that has the same attitude. I really disturbs me that the government makes it so easy to sit on your *** and get a free ride. This is why they always vote for a Democrat--- they are their free ticket.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 07:53 AM

Hello:

The truth is, welfare is given to Republicans too. It's called subsidies.

excon
    bob1234567890 Posts: 1, Reputation: -1

Jan 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
    The problem is that all the people that vote for democrats are on welfare, food stamps, and live in public housing projects. They would not work if you gave them the best job in town, because they Would have to get off their back side and show up to a job, and then would get their welfare cut. No good democrats could stand to lose free tax payers money.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
    The 2011 Census counts about 311 million people. 24% are under the age of 18. That leaves you with 236 million people over the age of 18, (adults).

The Rasmussen polling company reports 32.7% of American adults are Democrat and 35% are Republican. That amounts to 77.4 million Democrats and 82.8 million Republicans.

Partial data of people receiving Federal Aid:
    • Medicaid goes to 50 Million Americans
    • Food stamps go to 40 Million
    • Unemployment goes to 10 million
    • Welfare only goes to 4 million

Budget Implications of these programs:
    • Medicaid tops the list at over $273 Billion.
    • Unemployment comes in second at $160 Billion.
    • Food Stamps are third with $70 Billion.
    • Welfare is the lowest at $22 Billion.

Looking at the numbers above, I think any objective person could come to the conclusion that (a) there is no way those receiving aid or "handouts" could be labeled all Democrat; (b) the easy target, "Welfare", is actually a small portion of all Aid that we dole out; (c) Aid includes seniors, sick, poor, unemployed, and disabled. I'm afraid sickness, poverty, old age, unemployment, and disability do not strike along party lines.
    hubbss03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 12:24 PM
    A Pew Research Center survey of registered voters released August 2010 stated that 47% identified as Democrats or leaned towards the party.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clear explination of difference between Democrat and Republican [ 5 Answers ]

I'm reminded of the time that Catherine - a little girl in our Neighborhood - told me that she wanted to be President one day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there with us - and I Asked Catherine - "If you were President what would be the first thing you would...

Democrat versus Republican [ 7 Answers ]

Many of you guys can add it up in one minute, so please tell me: How many wars were initiated by democrats since the beginning of the USA? How many were started by republicans? How many wars were ended by republicans versus democrats?

The Republican connection? [ 35 Answers ]

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/goering-quote.jpe

Democratic or republican [ 2 Answers ]

Is Iowa considered democratic or republican

Democrat/republican who? [ 5 Answers ]

Are you going to vote democrat or republican and then who are you going to vote for? If you vote.

View more questions Search