Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    concernecsister Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2006, 05:09 PM
    Sticky Situation
    My sister recently became pregnant with a man she is not married to. He will not allow adoption. His only options for her are abortion or keeping the baby.

The snag is, doctors gave him until Christmas to live. He claimed his family was abusive to him growing up, but is now claiming they will raise the baby when he is gone.

What are my sister's rights to put the baby up for adoption. Would the father have a case in court?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 28, 2006, 07:10 PM
    This can really differ depending on the country you live in. Is there a social services agency, like the department of Family and Child Welfare who you could call?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2006, 07:56 PM
    I agree with valinors_sorrow.

Where does your sister reside, as that will affect which laws govern this.

If there is nothing legally they can do, she could always lie and tell him she had an abortion. Leave and go somewhere else, have the baby and give it up for adoption at that time.

But as valinors_sorrow, perhaps looking into your local Department of Family and Child Services (or equivalent) should be your next step.
    concernecsister Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2006, 10:24 PM
    She is from the USA, but in a state that leans toward paternal rights. That's why I am a little concerned. Thanks for the idea about Family and Child Services
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2006, 10:57 PM
    I feel somewhat like a turkey for not thinking of this sooner.

Once he dies, in December you said, odds are the courts will give full legal and physical custody to the sister, provided she is a suited person.

In which case, all she would then have to do is give the child up for adoption.

That seems to make logic sense to me, but as stated before, Department of Family and Child services can give you a for sure answer.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2006, 05:27 AM
    Hi,
    In VA, it's called the Department of Social Services. You can talk with them about it, and if they can't help, will guide you to the appropriate people.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

89 Civic swapped engine will not start. Read sticky [ 16 Answers ]

I will try to keep this short. I have had this 89 hatchback civic for many years. My brother drove it and had the head gasket replaced. After this it always smoked a lot.This was about 5 years ago so it has been sitting. I found a 90 wagon model donor car with a bad tranny and decided to buy it and...

Sticky Situation with an Old Friend [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I've decided to ask about this in a public forum, because I honestly can't decide if this is a situation for manners and decorum, or following my heart. A very good friend of mine, whom I have known since sixth grade and was one of my own bridesmaids just over a year ago, told me...

Skin damage from sticky band-aid [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've just recently had surgery, so I used some Curad gauze to cover up my scabs to protect them. Well, I didn't know that these gauze's adhesive sides would stick to my skin so tightly that they left some glue residue and skin redness. Since I used them repeatly for 1 week, now that I'm done...

View more questions Search