Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catherinemarie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Gave landlord 30days notice-now being given a hard time!
    Hi
    I am in need of some help and advise.
    I was in a verbal contract with my landlord- just month to month. Since I moved in on July 7,2008 he has not done anything agreed upon. For example- when I moved in he had his personal belongings all over(they were supposed to be moved out)- I had to move them out and box them myself as he never did it. I have another room that I pay extra for that is full of his crap- he recetley went in it and took his winter coats out- I never gave permission and he never bothered to remove anything else. This list goes on too...

I have decided to move and have giving my 30 day notice. Since I have given it to him, he has become a huge jerk.

I have horses on the property. He was supposed to build a separate area for them to be turned out in so they could be apart from his horses. He never did so we have "been taking turns " with the use of the pasture(he has 2 horses also). Well since I gave my notice he told me I can no longer use the pasture and my horses could sit in there stalls till they leave. Can he do this? Is this legal? What can I do about it? I feel horrible for my animals. He also parked his tractor right in front of there doors so I can barley get them out- they can get out but it is a tight squeeze.

Also we have well water and he can control the pressure from inside his house. He has now re-adjusted it to were my shower turns on for one min and then off for 20 seconds and then on again for a min and so forth. Is this legal and can he do this? The water pressure has never been great, but it has never been this bad!

I also saw my apartment advertised in the paper- my horses are leaving before me (since they can no longer go out I have no choice)- and he has the barn area avail to rent 2 days after the horses leave- even though I paid rent for that already. Can he rent something I already paid for even though I am not using it? He also has my apt advertised avail for the 1st. I am paid through the 7th.

The house is connected and I live on the other half. He is making it very uncomfortable for me to be there. I feel he has anger issues and is a control freak, there is a lot more that has happened since I moved in also... I didn't move out sooner because I didn't have the money to move- just to move the horses is 200$. Any help please? What can I or should I do?

One last question- if he wants to show the apt to people do I have to let him? I do not feel comfortable with it, esp if I am not there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 12:56 PM

Can you not just let your horses out into the pasture? Then let him deal with it.

But sounds like the sooner you move the better

Oct 10, 2008, 12:58 PM

I could let them out but... my horses are smaller than his and I tried that one time- my horse got kicked so hard in the ribs I am had to call a vet as I thougt they were broken. He has 2 huge draft horses I have 2 smaill quarter horses. There is about 600-800 lbs difference in them so his can do some damage! I prefer not to let them get hurt- which he knows I won't let mine out at the same time for that reason
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Hello c:

The reasons you're leaving don't matter now. He's not being a jerk about your notice or about your money, so there's nothing to do. When and if that happens, let us know.

Yes, you must let the landlord in IF he gives you REASONABLE notice, which is considered, depending on what state you live in, to be 24 hours. However, if you DON'T let him in, the worst he can do is evict you, and you'll be long gone before he can do that.

excon

Oct 10, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello c:

The reasons why you're leaving don't matter now. He's not being a jerk about your notice or about your money, so there's nothing to do. When and if that happens, let us know.

Yes, you must let the landlord in IF he gives you REASONABLE notice, which is considered, depending on what state you live in, to be 24 hours. However, if you DON'T let him in, the worst he can do is evict you, and you'll be long gone before he can do that.

excon
    Sorry I don't understand what you mean when you said when and if that happens.

I think he is being a jerk because he know he is not getting anymore money from me, and now has to find someone new...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Hello again, c:

If he tries to evict you illegally or tries to keep your security deposit, let us know.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord making me move did not give me 30days [ 2 Answers ]

I rent a house and am on a month to month and the landlord asked me to move. I said OK but I cannot get anything till my payday. Well I got my apartment but it will not be ready till August 15th so I told my landlord and he said I had to be out by aug 2nd as he has already rented the house to...

Gave a 30-day notice [ 2 Answers ]

I Gave A 30-day Notice I've Never Had To Give One Before My Question Is Once I Give The Notice Am I Required To Pay Any Money During The 30 Days... jerome >Moved from Forum Help<

Landlord promised to give lease now giving a hard time [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I live in Queens, NY and I moved into my apt in September. My landlord promised to give us a lease that she was drafting it up. Now she is playing dumb as if she never said it. HELP!! I just don't know what to do and I feel like I am not protected because I don't have a lease. Now the...

Does my roommate have to give me/landlord 30Days Notice if he's not on the Agreement? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need a little help answering this one. My roommate has been here 4 months, he filled out an application with the landlord when he moved in to make him official here. But we never signed a new Rental agreement together. Today is 12/24/07, and he just told me he's moving out 12/31/07, which...

I gave my 30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

OK so my frined gave her 30 day notice tyo her of a landlord,l and he is trying to charge her for that next months rent. But isn't it if you give you notic on the 5th of this mothn you have till the 5th of next month to move out with out extra rent money. I don't know if my state ( wisconsin)...

View more questions Search