Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WashougalRick Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2006, 01:57 PM
    18HP 44" Craftsman rider - eating drive belts!
    I just munched my second drive belt last week. :mad: Now my mower is stranded in an acre of growing grass, getting taller by the minute! Before I drop another $30 on a belt, any ideas on adjustment? It seems really loose when the brake/clutch pedal is engaged and I've had to monkey with the belt guard to keep the belt on the main drive pulley behind the engine. Seems like the idler should take up the slack. How loose should it be when the clutch/brake pedal is engaged?
    Thanks, Rick
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2006, 08:09 PM
    The belt should be good and tight when the clutch is released. The pulley that's moved by pushing down the clutch brake pedal, that should be adjustable I believe.
    WashougalRick Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2006, 09:44 PM
    I'll check the idler pulley and see if I can adjust it. As I recall, I did have some slack in it when the clutch was release. Thanks for the input.
    Rick
    gbs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 08:47 AM
    I have the same problem with a 15.5 HP 42" deck Sears mower. I think the problem to be that when the clutch/brake is depressed that there is too much slack given to the drive belt and it jumps off the transmission pulley when the clutch is released. I am going try and adjust some of the slack out of the belt that is created when the clutch/brake pedal is depressed.
    gbs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 08:14 AM
    In the owner's manual for my 15.5 hp Sears mower under the section that addresses the brake adjustment for the hydrostatic transmission, it says that the width of the compressed spring on the rod that connects the brake pedal to the transmission should be 1 9/16". There is a jam nut that can be loosened and allow the spring width to be adjusted. Mine had loosened and the compressed spring width was almost 2". I have tightened it down to the recommended 1 9/16" and my belt has not jumped the pulley since. Hope this helps.
    handyman_999 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 07:53 AM
    Hello
    Was checking the net for a replacement or other one of these Craftsman II
    And came about this problem of yours
    Had the same problem
    When putting your drive belt on make sure that you donot put the belt on top of the stop pine off back top idler wheel, its only there as a guard so it doesn't fall out when you press the clutch
    Took me a bit to find that one
    Hope it helps out
    handyman_999 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 04:22 AM
    Hello again, is it working yet.
    To let you know that my tractor takes a96/4L980 now, that would be 98" Belt
    My belt wasn't made any more so I found a close to what I had
    And it works
    Also my CrafstmanII has a Diagram under the left step, you should
    Check if yours has the same

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman rider won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Late '80's vintage 18HP, 44" rider. Been running like a champ until recently. Started running very rough a couple of weeks ago. Had to choke all the way to keep in running. Decided to start with new spark plugs to rectify. Now I don't get any spark. Turns over just fine. Amp meter on dash...

Murray 14 hp 42" cut Blade Drive Belt Loose [ 3 Answers ]

What are ways of tightening the blade drive belt on a Murray Model 42813A Riding lawn mower with a 42" wide cut? Just installed new one & blades will turn while mower is stationary, but will stop while trying to run over any grass?

The Old "A" Drive [ 4 Answers ]

Not being the brightest blip on the radar screen,I purchased a new computer that does not carry an A drive. Unfortunately I am old school and have many disks (originals) and no method of dealing with them. Is there anyway these disks may be copied to CDs and used accordingly? My biggest...

My 44" rider cuts to short for my liking [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking for advice. I raised the rear of my deck by moving the adjustments so now I want to put bigger deck leveling wheels to raise the front. It has three wheels lined up on the axle. Looks like clearance enough for wheels an inch larger. I can't stand cutting my lawn short and the highest...

AYP 18HP turns over slow [ 5 Answers ]

I was given a mower that sat for 5 years. Put a new battery in, cleaned the spark plug but it seems to spin really slow and certainly not fast enough to start. Where do I start checking? I tried jumping it with my car after the battery got weak but got the same result... like the engine is bad. ...

View more questions Search