Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alcando Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Connecting ABS Shower Drain to Cast Iron
    I have a new shower kit which came with a drain kit that will not attach to cast iron. The manufacturer says they do not have a drain kit that fits cast iron, the drain must be 2" PVC. I didn't find this out until I had ripped out the old shower. The 2" cast iron drain is set in concrete and would require jack hammering to remove. Is there a shower drain kit made that will fit 2" cast iron drain?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Alcando...

If you are lucky and there is room enough you may be able transition from 2" cast iron to 2" ABS (or PVC) using a 2" mission clamp (sold at all plumbing supply stores... see picture). You may have to chip down a bit to install this, but that should get it so you can attach and stub up long piece of plastic pipe so you can install shower drain/strainer. Then you will probably need an inside pipe cutter to cut the pipe down to size AFTER you install shower (depends on strainer you have)... let me know if need info. on this...OK??

It is important that the clamp state that it transitions from cast iron to plastic. Home depot also has these... most of the time.

Let me know what you think...

MARK
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 10, 2008, 04:06 PM
    The 2" cast iron drain is set in concrete and would require jack hammering to remove. Is there a shower drain kit made that will fit 2" cast iron drain?
    Are you asking if they make a drain to fit inside another drain? You already have a cast iron drain in place, Yes? Or is it just a 2" cast iron stub-up? Regards. Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 05:40 PM

Odds are, if it is cast that was connected to your old shower, you are going to have to break up some concrete to do this right. Please give us some more details of the job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast Iron Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, I am in the process of remodeling a bath room and I am at a point where I am not quite sure what to do... I have a cast iron flange with a cast iron riser and shower pan drain in a sunken slab that I would like to replace but with a small extension on the riser to accommodate the new...

Replacing Shower Membrane/Cast Iron Drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am replacing my shower membrane pan with a new one. I have purchased a cast iron drain to replace the old cast iron one, however where ever I read about doing a shower pan they say to replace with PVC drain. Is this something that must be done? Or can I replace it with the same type of...

Installing a PVC shower drain to cast iron [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - I was wondering if you could tell me what type of adhesive I would need to attach my PVC drain to the cast iron pipe, below the shower. I have no plumbing experience and am trying to do this myself to save some $. Thanks! :) OJ Bean

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search