Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwva Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2006, 12:57 PM
    AC not cooling house
    My central AC unit has stopped keeping the house cool. I checked the filter and it is clean. The outside part of the system is also functioning. I did notice that there was some water building up on the floor around the bottom of the system. Also, the insulated copper tube appears to be sweating; I never noticed that before. The house thermostat is set for 72 degrees, but it is reading 80 degrees and rising. Please help me and thank you.
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

May 28, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Check your coil behind the filter. If it is full of dust and debris, it may be affecting the heat transfer.

The copper pipe should be cold, and if it is humid, water will form on the outside.

Check the air coming out of the vents. Take a thermometer (not digital, just a regular mercury one) and stick it in the vent. The iar comign out should be around 50-58 degrees.

May 29, 2006, 03:45 PM
    I hate to say it, but I couldn't find the coil in the system. I was able to go check the condenser, which appears to be running fine. I was able to take off the face plates of the system, but I couldn't find any coils inside?? I turned the system off for about 16 hours, but when I started it back up it still only blew "sort of cool" air - it doesn't bring the temp down to what is programmed on the thermostat. I called a few people to come out and check it and was told over the phone it could be anywhere from nothing to thousands of dollars in repairs necessary. Also, the guy I called is charging me $90 bucks just to come look - but, I feel a little helpless because I need the air back on; it is miserable in here.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 29, 2006, 05:56 PM
    How old is the unit.
    I may need to recharged.

May 30, 2006, 06:26 PM
    The system is only 5 yrs old. I believe I found the problem. I was able to locate the coils (used the system diagram - duh) and cleaned out the PVC drainage pipe with some water and bleach. I think it was just clogged up because our air is back on and seemingly working fine. Thanks to all for the assist.
    D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c not cooling [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a problem with my central a/c not cooling. Both my outside unit and my blower in the attic are running, but I'm not getting cool air.Any ideas? Thanks.

Alternative cooling [ 1 Answers ]

My family is about to buy a home and this new home has a central duckt about 2 feet square (with a grill that did now alow me to look inside) on the 2nd floor that goes verticaly through the attic. The current owner's explanation is that is like a skylight with a fan that will suck up the hot air...

Thermostate says its cooling but its not! [ 1 Answers ]

The thermostate can be set on either cooling or just on. It will kick on only sometimes, no matter what the temperature. Is the problem the central AC unit, the thermostate or some kind of communication between them. If it's the last one could it be the communication at the thermostate end or...

A/C not cooling [ 11 Answers ]

I apologise if a similar question was already asked. However, I did try to look for thread with similar problem but couldn't find one. I live in a house which is approx 20 years old now. Originally the house was built with just the heating system. 3 years ago we installed a new carrier air...

AC not blowing or cooling [ 3 Answers ]

Our Central Air unit just stopped blowing and cooling all of a sudden today. We have reset the breakers both inside and outside by the unit and still nothing. The fan in the unit will turn like normal but nothing inside the house. We turned it off with just the fan running for a few hours in...

View more questions Search