Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamitch52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 12:06 AM
    401k withdrawal
    Hi,

I was release from employment May 28,2008 and am still unemployed. Thinking of cashing out my 401k which is taking a beating. First, will I have to pay the additional 10% penelty for early withdrawal. Secondly, With the markets in the state they are, will it be wise for me to cash out now, I'll be 56 in December 2008.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2008, 07:31 AM

Yes and No. You will owe the 10% penalty. Right now your losses are only on paper. If you cash out now, the losses will be come real. In addition you will also lose in penalities and taxes.

I would strongly advise you to leave it alone.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 14, 2008, 07:35 AM

Actually there is no 10% penalty as long as you separated from service in the year you turned 55 or later. So it seems in your case you would not owe the penalty. You would owe income taxon any withdrawal, of course. However, at your age you need to plan for a retirement that will last 30 years or more. You need to stay invested to a significant extent or your funds will run out long before then, especially if you consider the effects of inflation over that time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2008, 07:51 AM

Whoops missed the age.
    LicensedAdvisor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 21, 2008, 05:45 AM
    You also may want to contact you plan admin and see if they allow a 72-T distribution, oa an “equally substantial distribution.” Let's say you are still working but want to retire (let's say in this example) at the age of 55. First you quit working. Then you ROLL your 401k into an IRA. After the rollover is completed you apply for a 72(t) “equally substantial distribution”. The IRS will offer you (3) optional payout amounts. The (3) IRS optional payout methods will tell you how much the “equally
    Substantial distribution” will be based on your age, the age of your beneficiary, the amount of money you have, the % rate used for the calculation and how long they expect you to live (based on IRS's mortality table). It is a neat "loop hole," and is perfectly legal, but check w/ your HR admin. First. Hope this helps...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

How much income tax would I have to pay on $5000.00

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took an early withdraw from his 401K for personal reasons, they took only 10% taxes off before we received it, we claimed it on our 2005 tax return as income from the 1099R and paid an additional 10% tax, now we receive a notice telling us we should have paid an additional 10%? Also, is...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401k WITHdrawal [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I'd really appreciate some help. :) I lost my job a couple months ago, and took a withdrawal out of my 401k to help survive. Can anyone tell me exactly how bad the taxes will be on it? I will have some deductions to use, but honestly don't know how much that will help, or hurt me? Thanks...

401K Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I'm in a place I need money but have no job and don't know what I am doing in trying to get some money to put on a apartment with a friend and I need to know how to do a draw from the 401k for a start to a new life.

View more questions Search