Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    t_trinidad_t Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
    What could be the answer for this matter?
    A man falls down a well. It's hundreds of feet deep and smooth on all sides. There is no way he can climb up to get out and there are no windows or doors he can use. He looks in his pockets and realizes all he has are a pack of cigarettes and some matches. How does he get out?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Oct 9, 2008, 05:27 PM

As this is posted in Philosophy I assume any hypothetical solution is allowed, however weird and based on chances.

Or do you really want a valid and logical solution ?

:)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2008, 11:13 PM

Hi, t_trinidad_t!

If the well is hundreds of feet deep and he fell into it from the opening at the top, then he's probably dead.

Or, is there something that you've left out of your question, please?

Thanks!
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Oct 10, 2008, 12:37 AM

I remember a very similar question from when I was a kid, I don't know if the same answer applies, but I'll give it anyway!

(Oh, and it doesn't matter what's in his pocket, or what he finds down the well, he can use anything he can break for his escape!)

All he has to do is take out one of the matches.
    He then breaks the match in half.
    He puts the two halves back together again.
    Two half equal one whole.
    He puts this (w)hole up against the wall of the well...
    And he climbs out of it!

Tadaaaaaa!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2008, 08:22 PM

An engineer, an experimental physicist, a theoretical physicist, and a philosopher were hiking through the hills of Scotland. Cresting the top of one hill, they see, on top of the next, a black sheep. The engineer says: "What do you know, the sheep in Scotland are black." "Well, *some* of the sheep in Scotland are black," replies the experimental physicist. The theoretical physicist considers this for a moment and says "Well, at least one of the sheep in Scotland is black." "Well," the philosopher responds, "on one side, anyway."
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 14, 2008, 08:34 PM

Is it one of those old wells with a rope and a bucket tied to the end!? Then he can just climb the rope or something?
    zzidontcarezz Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2008, 11:26 AM

Well the well is a metaphor for being addicted to nicotene

The way for him to get out of the "well" is to not smoke the ciggarettes at all

And he will get out of the "well"
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 08:33 AM

Trinidad, please tell us the answer.

More than a month has passed...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 08:41 AM

Huntersbar has the correct answer In my opinion. These are 'lateral thinking' questions and there are many of them. I remember having fun with them while backpacking through Europe.

Here's more: http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/8295/lateral1.html
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 09:18 AM

Thanks, karma. Lateral thinking is great, but if that's the answer it's just silly. I get the play on words, but wouldn't a hole/"whole" in a deep well just get him into more dirt? Perhaps that would work better if he was in a room. What's the point in being in a well then? And what's with the rest of the descriptions? And the cigarettes are distractions? I'm not buying it. :P I'm really, really hoping there's a better answer.

If you're going to post a riddle, you should also come back to give us the answer...
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    thanks, karma. lateral thinking is great, but if that's the answer it's just silly. i get the play on words, but wouldn't a hole/"whole" in a deep well just get him into more dirt? perhaps that would work better if he was in a room. what's the point in being in a well then? and what's with the rest of the descriptions? and the cigarettes are distractions? i'm not buying it. :P i'm really, really hoping there's a better answer.

if you're going to post a riddle, you should also come back to give us the answer...
    It could be the OP was looking for us to answer and didn't know either
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    it could be the OP was looking for us to answer and didn't know either
    If that's true, I would hope he would have said so. If he has the answer now, he should come back! I hate unanswered riddles... :P
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 01:40 PM
    via US government economic bailout.

Sorry, my "pi$$y filter" is turned off.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    via US government economic bailout.

sorry, my "pi$$y filter" is turned off.
    Now that's an answer I'm comfortable with. I'm sticking to it.
    malenymph13 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Jan 4, 2009, 09:20 PM

If it is a well, wouldn't there be water at the bottom, and if people saw smoke rising out of the well, considering where there is a watering hole there are people, after the man lit his cigarette the smoke coming from water would seem illogical and therefore people would come to the well to see what was up, thus they would become his rescuers.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 08:36 AM
    Hello:

There are lots of dry wells. MY guy, had just eaten a meal of ham hocks and beans... All he has to do is light his farts, and he'll blast his way out.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does it matter? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can wear yellow and white gold at the same time, because I got married recently and my husband brought me a gold ring. I don't know what to do because my husband said I should wear my ring even if I am wearing a yellow necklace.

A51 or A50? Does it matter? [ 1 Answers ]

The ECU on my car is:37820-P06-A50. The part bought: 37820-P06-A51. Does it matter if I use the one with A51 to replace the original one with A50? I don't want to make another stupid mistake by trying a obviously mismatched part before I get some confirmation from those who know better out there....

What can I do in this matter [ 1 Answers ]

I need some assistance is this matter... I recently came across a property that has been vacant for some time and I did a little research on it. Come to find out that the owner, plus the person's relatives that were named administrators are deceased. The property owes thousands of dollars in...

Does age really matter? [ 10 Answers ]

I am kind of in a little shuffle here. My boyfreind is 4 years older than I am and he gets made fun of by his friends. My boyfriend isn't one of those people who care about what other people think but when they make fun of him about it, he thinks he is doing something wrong. He doesn't want to...

Age matter [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 27 and my husband is 57 were together for 9 months and keep trying but still I'm not pregnant. Does my husband age matter?

View more questions Search