Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alerner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 01:40 PM
    How to control image display/layout on a website?
    I built a site using MS FrontPage. I've posted many family photos which display differently when viewed from different computers. How do I get the layout to remain consistent regardless of PC or monitor size? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Andy
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 05:27 PM
    This is one of the challenges of the medium. Pages must be crafted in such a way that they render similarly regardless of the display device or the particular browser's interpretation of web standards. Assumptions generally cannot be made. I see even professional sites designed for and probably tested on CRT monitor resolutions which then look abysmal on a widescreen LCD.

Setting size information on your images, use of tables for layout, and cascading style sheet features (CSS Tutorial, Starting with HTML + CSS) all can help persuade the browser to locate content where you want it. Direct editing of the HTML code may be required for complex layouts. At this point, you will probably find yourself fighting FrontPage over the HTML it generates (Comparison of HTML editors).
    Artem Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jan 12, 2009, 10:22 AM

+1 @Scleros

First of all I'd like to say that Frontpage isn't a good program to use, even if you're not a professional, use another program. There are lots of better alternatives e.g. CoffeeCup, HTMLKit, etc
    Secondly, tighten down your lay-out into CSS as much as you can. For I know, it's currently the best and only secure way to display your pages cross-browser and platform safe.
    sixeyeco Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 10:24 PM

I'm a die hard user of Frontpage. Just laziness I suppose but I don't want to learn CSS. What I've done in the past to address your concern is to use javascript. The script I used did two things, determine the visitor's browser and their resolution. Then, I design a page specifically for them and (using the same javascript) redirect to them to their page. If you have a large site this can be a huge pain in arse as you can imagine. But if you just have a family site or just want make a few pages compatible it can be worth the effort.

Some other suggestions:
    a) Consider an open source software solution designed for photos. These are often easy to install most have css built into them.
    b) Consider a free site like Facebook. They take care of everything. You simply upload your photos and give your friends and family access to your photos.
    Artem Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Feb 1, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sixeyeco View Post
    I'm a die hard user of Frontpage. Just laziness I suppose but I don't want to learn CSS.
    Nothing wrong with a WYSIWYG editor, but please stop using Frontpage. Not sure for the new versions, but I get a strange burning feeling in my chest seeing <font color="red"> being written in the code.

As for the Javascript redirect thing, there is a much more efficient way.
    1) Don't make your page wider then 600 or 800 px.
    2) Use percentages so they automatically adjust to the screen width.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Images won't display on a website [ 11 Answers ]

Hey guys, I'm having trouble seeing all the images on hi5 - Who's in?, all the profiles images won't display but everything else on the website will including other images. I had norton anti-virus, which I uninstalled just because I thought it was one of the reasons, I have done several things but...

Click image in webbrowser control in vb [ 2 Answers ]

heys guys I want to load a page in webbrowser control in my vb application and click an image there... suppose I loaded the webpage and I know the name of the gif image which is an random hyperlink.. now I have to click on that gif image named "ok.gif" how can I do this ?

The Display icon does not open in the control panel [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a way to fix a problem with the display function in the control in Windows XP. I have searched all over the web for a solution. To date none of the suggestions have worked. I suspect that some spyware may have corrupted my ability to change the appearance of my display. ...

Display in control panel will not open [ 1 Answers ]

When I click on the Display icon in the control panel (I want to change my desktop theme... really sick of the cow pasture), all I get is this pop-up message: An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\desk.cpl",Display" It...

View more questions Search