Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KnowLaw Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Discovery Requests
    I received a summons in July from a law office in regards to a credit card now in collections. I answered the summons within the 30 days allowed in GA, but did not request validation of the debt.(You live and you learn):(

On September 16th I received a Plaintiff's Discovery Request packet dated for September 9th. On September 24 I received a letter from the law office dated September 8th stating they had received my filed answers and they wanted to discuss the matter in further detail; and that their client does not wish to cause me any unnecessary inconvenience.

My question is do I have to answer the original Plaintiff's Discovery Request and which date do I use to calculate the 30 days stated in the Plaintiff's Discovery Request for my response to the interrogatories,request for admission and request to produce documents?

I have read many different opinions in this matter, some suggest not answering the discovery, request a validation of debt or just settle the matter in writing.

Thank you.(Man this site is great)!
    kayebird Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2008, 11:49 AM

If you answered the summons complaint, you should answer their discovery and submit your own discovery asking for proof of the debt. I wouldn't settle the matter if I had answered the complaint and started the litigation route unless you just totally feel that you can't win in court. Is this an original creditor or a collection agency/junk debt buyer?

If you ignore the discovery they can get a summary judgment. I can't understand someone advising to ignore the discovery after filing an answer. Figure the 30 days from the date you received their request. If you want to try and play their game, answer theirs and request your discovery as soon as possible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2008, 11:53 AM

You don't ignore the Discovery but you don't exactly respond to it either. In effect their discovery is asking you to do their work for them.

What you do is return the Discovery and respond to each question with:

I can neither affirm nor deny until I receive verification of the debt.

Send it with a cover letter requesting verificiation.
    kayebird Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2008, 10:29 AM

There are many samples of discovery answers online for debt collections. Scott, I appreciate you further defining what I meant by responding. I wasn't clear in my post. My main objective was to say not to ignore their discovery but you are correct, don't give them any answers or proof to do their work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult child and family won't move out despite requests [ 6 Answers ]

We need to get my brother and his wife and 2 kids out of my mother’s home. He is 28, she is 24 and the kids are 4 & 5. My mother begrudgingly allowed them to stay with her “temporarily” (it was supposed to be for a month) while they looked for a new apartment and they have refused to make any...

Retail business requests cheques for reno [ 2 Answers ]

Initiating a large interior home reno. Dealing with one main retail business that supplies flooring, kitchen and bathroom supplies plus will install and complete plumbing and electrical. Was planning on putting through my credit card to achieve travel points. They however have frowned on this...

Deadbeat Father requests to reduce arrears? [ 3 Answers ]

I've been served after 8+ years of abandonment by my daughters biodad. He owes over $10,000 in child support. He is taking me to court to reduce child support (which he doesn't pay anyway? ), Medical Support (I provide 100% med and dental, he is not ordered to pay this because I never trusted...

Help With Discovery Request [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I posted my situation yesterday... You can follow it. Anyway I was sued two days I requested validation of debt. The attorney sent me something that was not validation (just an itemized bill) and now I'v read that I have to do a discovery. I have seen a sample letter but don't know if its...

Special requests [ 17 Answers ]

OK I know that you all don't know me-but I am in desperation right now. I've been going through some really tough times in my life and believe it or not, I feel like God is angry with me... maybe for making some bad decisions, I don't know. But every decision I make is for nothing but the best of...

View more questions Search