Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cleverhistorian Posts: 10, Reputation: -6

Oct 8, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Video Game Terminology
    Hi. I am doing a study on the history of video games and was wondering about a certain word which refers to a time in the aforementioned subject. I need to know an exact meaning of the word. I like to do my work according to specifc guidelines. The Web site listed will give you an idea of what I am talking aboutA History of Home Video Games from Atari to Xbox, Playstation and Wii
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:32 PM

Hi, cleverhistorian!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just moved your question that you had posted in Introductions to this topic area so that it would get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, cleverhistorian!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just moved your question that you had posted in Introductions to this topic area so that it would get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

Thanks!
    Sir,

What I just posted was a message telling people about myself, actually. (I described what type of work I was doing and did not ask an actual question. Right? Think about this for a moment, please.

Yes, I could tell more about myself but I did give a good introduction.

Oct 9, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, cleverhistorian!

Thanks!
    PS: I forgot to say to please allow other people, too, to answer my question. I'm not sure if the experts decide amongst themselves who will reply to q's or what. Thank you.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 9, 2008, 12:54 PM

and was wondering about a certain word which refers to a time in the aforementioned subject
    So what is the certain word? Or am I just misunderstanding your question?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2008, 01:12 PM

Yea there are a lot of words in that link care to be more specific

Oct 9, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amricca View Post
    So what is the certain word? or am I just misunderstanding your question?
    (I was introducing myself as you do not ask questions in the Introduction board. The word is generation as it relates to video games. I need an official and independent meaning if there is one. Otherwise, I'm open to what else you know.
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cleverhistorian View Post
    Hi. I am doing a study on the history of video games and was wondering about a certain word which refers to a time period in the aforementioned subject. I need to know an exact meaning of the word. I like to do my work according to specifc guidelines. The Web site listed will give you an idea of what I am talking aboutA History of Home Video Games from Atari to Xbox, Playstation and Wii
    Hello again, cleverhistorian!

See now, I'm not the only one that views what you had posted as being at least as implying a question. You said that you were "wondering about a certain word..." Also, that you needed "to know an exact meaning of the word." Plus, you gave a link to a website so that people can have some sort of idea about what you are wanting to know.

Very few people that are on this site ever respond to, let alone even notice things that are posted in introductions. Posting things in introductions is just a courtesy kind of thing. If a person really wants to get answers to questions, they post them in the appropriate topic areas. Introductions is not one of them.

By my moving what you posted to this topic area, it is allowing it more exposure and thus others to respond to it.

amricca has asked a question in response to what you have originally posted. I would also like to know the same thing as amricca does.

Thank you, kindly.
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2008, 01:27 PM

A generation can refer to stages of successive improvement in the development of a technology such as the internal combustion engine, or successive iterations of products with planned obsolescence, such as video game consoles or mobile phones.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
    albear was trying to help you, cleverhistorian! What you rated him on was something that is in his signature. What's in someone's signature is not meant to be an answer to questions. Your rating of him was thus not justified.

amricca wasn't trying to post an introduction.

This isn't a chat site! No one on this thread who's replying to you is introducing themselves. The only people who can see this thread, unlike most chat sites, are those who click on the link to this thread.

Please do take the time to read the information that you will find via clicking on the following link.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/private.php

Everyone here who has posted has tried to help you.

Please don't use the rating system for others who are just trying to help you and aren't really incorrect!

Thank you!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2008, 04:48 PM

My simple understanding: advances in gaming hardware... as advances in technology are made, so too will effects in video and computers games.
    Each new system can be considered a "new generation" because it usually is improving on the previous systems. (although plenty of the older systems have dedicated followers!)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cleverhistorian View Post
    PS: I forgot to say to please allow other people, too, to answer my question. I'm not sure if the experts decide amongst themselves who will reply to q's or what. Thank you.
    I'll say good bye now. With your attitude, you won't be around long.

If you'd like to stay then read the rules, watch and learn how this site works, and then join in.

Right now you're 10 posts in and already in the red. Not good.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 03:59 PM

Lol can't believe you dug this up from oct last year :)
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    lol can't believe you dug this up from oct last year :)
    Crap! Damn. Poo.

Okay, my bad.

Back to the corner I go.

Good call Bear.

See, I'm not perfect. ;)
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 04:06 PM

Lol no worries alty, was rather supprised to see you in my neck of the woods actually :)
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 04:12 PM
    lol no worries alty, was rather supprised to see you in my neck of the woods actually :)
    This is your neck of the woods?

I was responding to a reddie spree started by the OP. I just wanted to make sure he understood the rules, but I didn't look at the date of the post.

Tail between my legs, scampering off.

Ben, I'm sorry, don't hurt me. ;)
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 04:25 PM

video games and movies are my most visited thread types (after the longe :D)

A reddie spree I hadn't seen the op much after this thread, thought theyd left :confused:

Hmmmm apparently I was wrong :)
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 05:27 PM
    video games and movies are my most visited thread types (after the longe :D)

a reddie spree i hadnt seen the op much after this thread, thought theyd left :confused:

hmmmm apparently i was wrong :)
    It may be me that's wrong.

It happens. I do make mistakes.

I know, hard to believe, right? ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 06:59 PM

Closed, appears the OP may be a troll or trouble maker, will PM a warning to them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Video Game Request [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, on the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory game on GameCube, in the exploding candy room, how do you open the black-bar like doors?

The Darkness video game [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Is "The Darkness" video that will come out soon, going to be for Playstation 2?

View more questions Search