Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hermannator Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2006, 06:19 PM
    One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit
    In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person.

The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry about landlord going after us to make up for that security deposit and rent or will the landlord go after only her?

Also, she refuses to live there unless her demands are met too.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2006, 08:15 PM
    All of you are responsible for the total rent. So if she don't pay the rest of you will have to fork over the money.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 27, 2006, 08:29 PM
    I totally agree with Fr. Chuck. Those are the dowfalls of roomies. Everyone else will be held accountable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security deposit interest [ 2 Answers ]

In Massachusetts, when a tenant moves out and the damages go over the amount of the security deposit, can you also keep the interest on that account towards repairs or do you have to give them the interest back on the security deposit and last months rent? It is a matter of cents. In...

How To Get Security Deposit Back! [ 18 Answers ]

Hello all, My wife and I started renting an apartment in Virginia back in August on a month to month basis. We never had a check list from the landlord to assess the condition of the apartment. Among other things, the carpet was in bad shape and it also smelled bad. Before we moved in, the...

Help my security deposit! [ 3 Answers ]

Moved out June 24 (pennsylvania). Move out date was June30 (was doing my landlord a favor so she can re-do bathroom.) Called her July 17 and she says she is not giving any of my security deposit ($1000) because the 60days prior to my moveout, the apt was "filthy" (I procrastinate...

Nonrefundable security deposit (PA) [ 10 Answers ]

Is it legal to have a nonrefundable security deposit in pa? I am trying to find a way out of my lease, but I am not sure the best way to do it. They say I have to give 3 months notice and pay 4 months rent as a fee. That would equal about $2000. They might have called it something besides a...

Security deposit increase? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been renting for approximately 2 years and was informed last month that a $300 increase in my security deposit is required with my next month's rent. Is this legal? The propoerty was sold about six months ago and I'm on a month-to-month lease which the only option given. I know they can...

View more questions Search