Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mickeymaya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Is 1.5 year old dog's leg/thigh pain a pulled muscle or more serious?
    Last Thurs my 1.5 yr old Great Pyrenese started yelping while I was in another room. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong- had just given her a pill followed by a treat so at first wondered if she was choking. She walked around with me and yelped then settled down after about 20-30 seconds.
    The next day when I came in, she ran up to me weirdly excited like she usually does then went past me like she was running out the door- not trying to jump or hugging as usual. I reached around her kind of hugging from the top and when rubbing her belly she did the yelping again but just for a few seconds. Again no clue what was wrong and when rubbing her top to bottom she didn’t react. Shortly after, she ran around with two labs for a couple of hours and didn’t seem to have anything wrong.
    Saturday I noticed she was favoring one rear leg a little- kind of limping and holding the right one off the ground sometimes. Sunday she seemed fine while out with her most of the day. Monday she did the leg favoring thing again but fine/no limp when walking. When we went up the stairs at the dog park, she did a light yelp/whimper at the top. No reaction when rubbing/pressing everywhere. Yesterday she was acting timid about going for a walk- finally got out and walked fine. Rubbed her down and found the area that seems to hurt. It’s kind of the groin area a little down the leg. There is a small bump and a small dark mark/sore about an inch away. The sore doesn’t look like it’s into broken skin though- like a spider bite which would worry me more. We walked around the neighborhood and the only time she was uncomfortable was the stairs again. She doesn’t react every time I touch it but it definitely bothers her. Today it seems more sensitive towards the back of her leg instead.
    Sorry for the long post but trying to be detailed in case someone has had a similar experience and it’s just a pulled muscle…or I should take her to the vet asap…
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:15 PM

With a dog that big, and it being a back leg, I'd be worried about hip dysplasia, myself. It could also be a back problem, but she is young for that. And, it could just be a sore muscle acting up. I don't think this is "emergency vet" serious, but I would probably be making an appointment with my vet to get it looked at if I were you.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:39 PM

I agree with hip dysplasia. My 2 year old chihuahua has one. Not too serious, but if she jumps and lands on her hind legs wrong, she's in pain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pulled Muscle? [ 10 Answers ]

Poor, poor Ginger! :( About two weeks ago she had a seizure which lasted about seven minutes, it hit her when she was laying at the top of the steps and down she went. About ten minutes later she went into another one that lasted about four minutes. She acted a little stiff, and her gait was...

Pulled Muscle Need a way to strengthen and relax the muscle [ 4 Answers ]

Hi... my problem is in my right leg the quad muscle I can barely walk on my leg and its next to impossible to run, I was playing softball in the cold weather of Ohio, and I went to hit the ball and as I started to run my leg (quad) started hurting and I wasn't able to stand on it... I am looking...

Pulled leg muscle [ 1 Answers ]

I pulled a muscle and I have cheer tryouts tomorrow how and what can I do to make it stop hurting to tumble please help!:( :p :confused:

Working out with a pulled muscle [ 1 Answers ]

I pulled my quad muscle recently in a soccer game, but I still want to work out as part of a my weight loss plan... any suggestions on workouts that wouldn't put a lot of strain on my leg?

View more questions Search