Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 27, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Can't delete some files...
    Hi. I've got Windows XP Home Edition on one of my PCs and since the last upgrades, I've not been able to delete files without changing the properties or attributes.

Now, after downloading a file for a correspondence course, and wanting to delete the *.exe file that is just a self-extracting zipped file of reading material- and even after changing the properties I STILL CANNOT DELETE IT. The file is from a government site, an ACCP - the Army Correspondence Cource Program.

Does anyone have any suggestions outside of formatting my entire hard drive?

What can I do to prevent this in the future?

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 27, 2006, 02:19 PM
    When you try to delete it what message do you get that let's you know you can't?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 27, 2006, 02:48 PM
    It tells me the file is 'protected' even after I change the attributes and properties. I use a different file commander that is better than the dumb Microsoft explorer type file manager. I even tried to delete it with the DOS prompt and checked the attrib as well - this said 'access denied'.

Hope someone can help.

I hate not having control...
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 27, 2006, 03:23 PM
    There is a chance that the file is still open. Use this utility or this utility to see which program has it opened and close that program.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 17, 2006, 12:20 PM
    The programs you provided links for did help me in getting rid of some, but, unfortunately, not this particular one.

It seems that this file has embedded itself and is not willing to go, no matter what.

Has anything like this evey happened to anyone else?

At my wits' end on this one.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Maybe the makers of the program have a removal tool for it.
    Yes, I have heard of files not letting go before. I understand that some windows updates are non-removable.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 17, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    It seems that this file has embedded itself and is not willing to go, no matter what.
    Have you tried booting into safe mode and removing the file? If a program is locking access to the file, it may not startup in safe mode, and you can possibly remove it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 17, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Shunned made a good suggestion. You can also check to make sure the file is not loaded in your startup. Or try booting to Safe Mode and then try deleting it.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jun 18, 2006, 12:56 PM
    I would also try doing a full checkdisk scan on that drive, this may resolve any problems caused due to corruption.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2006, 01:33 PM
    Thanks so much for the responses. This is an *.exe file that has zipped *.dot files in it. I downloaded from ACCP Army Correspondence Course Program, and I've tried in Safe Mode now too, but it does not want to go.. When I try to delete it in DOS mode, I get an 'Access Denied' and when using Total Commander, which I use a lot, I'm told that the file is 'Protected'. I've even tried to 'move' the entire directory in which the file is located - and am not allowed to due to this one file. I've never had something this stubborn happen to me, and it really makes me angry. I've also changed the attributes on this thing so often.. I have not used the file, Word, or anything associated with the ACCP site after restarting my PC, and still the same.

Boy, when we figure a way to get rid of this one, I can say that I've beat some real 'doozy!

Jun 18, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Is it possible that there are "hidden" files also?
    Is there an uninstall feature for this program?
    Maybe with another hard drive (getting cheaper now) you could re-install your op sys on a new drive and reformat this one after you save or transfer your pertinent data.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2006, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shunned
    Is it possible that there are "hidden" files also?
    Is there an uninstall feature for this program?
    Maybe with another hard drive (getting cheaper now) you could re-install your op sys on a new drive and reformat this one after you save or transfer your pertinent data.
    I think if it were a program, it would be easier than this, as I would be able to uninstall it. And, the only attribute it has on it now and then before I remove it, is the -a, and no other.

It's a dumb self-extracting file with 4 word documents in it. It did create a subdirectory when extracting, and it moved the files there. The files can be deleted once extracted, but the initial *.exe file is the one that's hard to get rid of.

If all else fails, I probably will backup my hard-drive and reformat it as I plan on giving this PC to my daughter so that she can continue her education on the net. I just didn't think I'd have to go through so many hours of reinstallation of OS and Apps because of just one darned file.

Jun 18, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Are you looking at the folder with the "show hidden files" feature on? There may be hidden files that will not delete because you can't see' them.
    Wasn't this file a part of a much larger program? If so, make an inquiry to the creators of the program.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 20, 2006, 04:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shunned
    Are you looking at the folder with the "show hidden files" feature on? there may be hidden files that will not delete because you can't see' em.
    Wasn't this file a part of a much larger program? If so, make an inquiry to the creators of the program.
    NONE of the files on my PC are 'hidden' I have an application that I use instead of the explorer and it allows me to see all hidden files and directories.

And no, the file does not belong to a program. It's a zipped file that was made into a self-extracting *.exe file, sort of like a zip-to-exe to make it easier for those that don't work with 'unzippers' by themselves.

So... it's back to the drawing board, sigh...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 20, 2006, 04:38 AM
    Silly question, but have you tried renaming it or changing the extension and then deleteing ?

Jun 20, 2006, 04:08 PM
    OK. Is it in "add/remove progams"?
    Is it in your processes, or does it load up before you have a chance to do anything about it?
    If it's in your processes, can you stop it from running from there?
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 20, 2006, 04:12 PM
    How about tying to delete the file from bootable environment that's not your Windows XP?

BartPE is a bootable environment based on Window's Preinstallation Environment. It runs completely off the CD and you can work with files on your hard disk when you boot with it. If you have a CD burner, you can download BartPE and create a bootable CD.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I Delete Duplicate Files? [ 6 Answers ]

(First, I am a TRUE beginner) How can I be sure a file is duplicate, then delete it? I believe there are numerous duplicate files which are taking up a huge amt. of space. I have an old CPU (only has Pent.ll) but runs good enough for what I want to do. I am cleaning out this thing; did all...

I can't delete files on my PC [ 2 Answers ]

Please, can someone help me? I can't get rid of some files (large) on my PC. I get an error like:"Cannot delete <file name> Acces is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." The files are not "Read only". I'm using winxp pro sp2 I...

Unwanted backup(?) files/"ghost" files [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have been getting these strange files that activate when I open Microsoft word documents. They are like shadow files. And also they appear in My Photo section too. Here is some information I have copied from the property boxes of the files. I have done virus scans on these "ghost"...

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

Can I delete files with .pdl extensions? [ 9 Answers ]

Can I safely delete files with .pdl extensions? They seem to be taking up a lot of space. What other file extensions can I safely delete? Thanks

View more questions Search