spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 07:41 PM
    That my friends.
    Is what you call a verbal @$$ Kicking

OBAMA/BIDEN 08
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Oct 7, 2008, 09:24 PM
    I agree. The majority of polls clearly had Obama winning the debate. The core base support for both candidates has already been established for weeks and this was supposed to be a great opportunity for McCain in a Town Hall setting. As it turned out, he lost uncommitted voters. So much for Pubs pushing the Town Hall formats. Obama gave McCain another left uppercut to the chin tonight.

CBS Poll: Uncommitted Voters Say Obama Won Debate - Horserace

"UPDATED CBS News and Knowledge Networks have, once again, conducted a nationally representative poll of uncommitted voters to get their immediate reaction to tonight's presidential debate.

And this new poll has good news for the Democratic ticket: Just as in the first presidential debate and the vice presidential face off, more uncommitted voters say the Democratic candidate won the debate. (We've updated this post with final numbers.)

Forty percent of the 516 uncommitted voters surveyed identified Barack Obama as tonight's winner; 26 percent said John McCain won, while 34 percent saw the debate as a draw.

After the debate, 68 percent of uncommitted voters said that they think Obama will make the right decisions on the economy, compared to 55 percent who said that before the debate. Fewer thought McCain would do so – 48 percent after the debate, and 41 percent before.

Before the debate, 59 percent thought Obama understands voters' needs and problems; that rose to 80 percent after the debate. For McCain, 33 percent felt he understands voters' needs before the debate, and 44 percent thought so afterwards.

There is some good news for McCain, who still dominates Obama when it comes to perceptions of readiness to be president. Before the debate, 42 percent thought Obama was prepared for the job, and that percentage rose to 58 percent after the debate. But 77 percent felt McCain was prepared for the job before the debate, and 83 percent thought so afterwards.

Before the debate, 51 percent thought Obama would bring real change; afterwards, 63 percent thought that. For McCain, just 23 percent thought he would bring real change before the debate, while 38 percent thought so afterwards.

Fifty-seven percent thought McCain answered the questions that were asked, and an identical though Obama did.

Seventy-two percent of uncommitted voters remained uncommitted after the debate. Fifteen percent committed to Obama, and 12 percent to McCain.

We will have a full report on the poll later on. Uncommitted voters are those who don't yet know who they will vote for, or who have chosen a candidate but may still change their minds.
    "
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 03:35 AM

It was nothing more than a bunch of dueling talking points . The format was way too restrictive for a "town hall " format .Both candidates complained about it.There was no interaction between the audience and the candidates.The audience was just a prop. There was no interaction between the candidates and the moderator,and no debate between the candidates themselves. NBC should be ashamed of itself.

Obama did better on economic issues because he was pretending to be less liberal than he really is. McCain made a mistake in talking about Obama's cronies in Congress and not naming names like Dodd ,Schumer ,and Franks .

But bottom line and the killer for McCain was when he proposed that Treasury buy up of actual troubled mortgages and re-negotiate their loan to the tune of an additional $300 billion. What will be the nail in his coffin is that he went along with the bailout plan to begin with ,and now is proposing this monstrosity . The bump he got by a re-energized base after the Palin selection has been offset by his lack of being a "maverick "on this issue even as the electorate was begging Congress not to pass this plunder.

I'm still waiting for McCain to counter Obama's assertion that he'll "cut taxes on 95% of Americans" by pointing out that only 48% of Americans actually pay taxes, once all the tax credits are applied and refunds given back. You know he's planning a "slick willie "on any tax cut he proposes. If you don't know what a "slick willie "is then just research what happened to Clintoon's promise of a tax cut in the 1992 election.

McCain was better on foreign policy . Obama's ramblings were incoherent at times .If Palin had said what he said it would've been the subject of ridicule .

If you are talking about style points then yes ;Obama is a smooth operator. McCain doesn't have a knock-out punch .He's too busy "reaching across the aisle". One thing that I am sure of from this election cycle is that no one cares ,and in fact it's a liability ,to be bi-partisan.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 03:54 AM
    By the way ;the US military did not invent the computer with taxpayers money . I think Obama was talking about the Advanced Research Projects Agency in the 1960s that was created in a cold war environment to counter the fact that the Ruskies had sent Sputnik into space.That begat the Information Processing Techniques Office which was part of the development of "the internet" . They did not invent the computer.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 05:09 AM
    Hello:

What I discovered is that I'm a much better debater than either of them. Excon for pres.

excon
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Oct 8, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

What I discovered is that I'm a much better debater than either of them. Excon for pres.

excon
    I don't think I could out debate Obama, Biden or McCain. But I'm certain with some preparation, I could do Palin in.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM View Post
    I don't think I could out debate Obama, Biden or McCain
    Hello bobby:

You shortchange yourself. Good Yantiff.

excon
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 8, 2008, 10:13 AM

The reality is that the issues get lost in the debate. Who should care how good a candidate is at debating? What I want to know is what will he do once elected? Debate is not substance, it is only perception.

McCain lacks style, and that is apparently important to non-thinkers. On that score, I think Palin would have come off better against Obama.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM View Post
    I don't think I could out debate Obama, Biden or McCain. But I'm certain with some preparation, I could do Palin in.
    You underestimate the power of the wink.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:16 AM

I know I could moderate a debate better than Tom Brokejaw.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    The reality is that the issues get lost in the debate. Who should care how good a candidate is at debating? What I want to know is what will he do once elected? Debate is not substance, it is only perception.
    Gee, I wonder what your post would have been if McCain dominated.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:28 AM

For a different take on Palin's debate ability read Professor Camille Paglia ;liberal author, teacher, feminist and social critic for the liberal Salon Magazine... a committed Obama supporter .

Camille Paglia on Sarah Palin, Barack Obama, Joe Biden and more | Salon

The mountain of rubbish poured out about Palin over the past month would rival Everest. What a disgrace for our jabbering army of liberal journalists and commentators, too many of whom behaved like snippy jackasses. The bourgeois conventionalism and rank snobbery of these alleged humanitarians stank up the place. As for Palin's brutally edited interviews with Charlie Gibson and that viper, Katie Couric, don't we all know that the best bits ended up on the cutting-room floor? Something has gone seriously wrong with Democratic ideology, which seems to have become a candied set of holier-than-thou bromides attached like tutti-frutti to a quivering green Jell-O mold of adolescent sentimentality.

And where is all that lurid sexual fantasy coming from? When I watch Sarah Palin, I don't think sex -- I think Amazon warrior! I admire her competitive spirit and her exuberant vitality, which borders on the supernormal. The question that keeps popping up for me is whether Palin, who was born in Idaho, could possibly be part Native American (as we know her husband is), which sometimes seems suggested by her strong facial contours. I have felt that same extraordinary energy and hyper-alertness billowing out from other women with Native American ancestry -- including two overpowering celebrity icons with whom I have worked.

One of the most idiotic allegations batting around out there among urban media insiders is that Palin is "dumb." Are they kidding? What level of stupidity is now par for the course in those musty circles? (The value of Ivy League degrees, like sub-prime mortgages, has certainly been plummeting. As a Yale Ph.D., I have a perfect right to my scorn.) People who can't see how smart Palin is are trapped in their own narrow parochialism -- the tedious, hackneyed forms of their upper-middle-class syntax and vocabulary.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Hello again, tom:

She's right. I'm a tedious hack with upper-middle-class syntax and vocabulary. Although, I never noticed it before now.

excon
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 10:55 AM

Hmmmm I wonder how it would work out at my office if I didn't pronounce the g with all the words that end with ing. Do you think the president of my company would say somethinG to me about it or would he make me VP?
    Blastoff Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Oct 8, 2008, 10:59 AM

I think it's very hard for anyone to go on the attack while still trying to convince people that you are objective and non-partisan.

The non-partisan image is like a good running attack in football. It works great when you're ahead. Not so well when you're behind.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 11:07 AM

Blastoff exactly . McCain was restrained by his own self image. He needs to get in the mud and his heart isn't in it.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    McCain was restrained by his own self image. He needs to get in the mud and his heart aint in it.
    Thanks Tom, that's one of the funniest things I've read today.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    McCain was restrained by his own self image. He needs to get in the mud and his heart aint in it.
    Hello again, tom:

You're right. It proves, then, his utter hypocrisy by directing Palin to do it.

excon
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 8, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

excon

Neither of these guys had the courage to say to the American people :

... you what, tough times are coming, we got ourselves into this mess because we all, you, I, government, spend too much and don't save enough...

Now we will really have to CHANGE, work harder, spend less and help each other out.

Maybe to save SSI we have to raise the age requirements [ political suicide].

Maybe we all have to pay more out of pocket for less frills covered, if we want health insurance for all.

Maybe, we should let Israel handle Iran all by themselves, and we know they can.

I want an honest leader who isn't scared to say the tough things. One who isn't going to promise us everything for free, because we know it won't be free.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 8, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Gee, I wonder what your post would have been if McCain dominated.
    I'd say the same thing! Debates are little more than populatity contests, unless of course one debater is obviously mentally deficient, and that is not often the case in presidential elections.

I hate polls too. There are far too many feeble-minded voters who can't make up their own minds based on the issues, and they are suckered into voting for whoever they think will win because they don't want to be perceived as losers. Proof of such is the fact that so many polls are weighted in favor of one candidate or the other. I believe in a close race a skillful pollster an manipulate the outcome to suit his/her agenda.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friends who turned out to be false friends [ 11 Answers ]

Does any one have experience of people they thought to be friends but they turned out to be false friends ?

Friends to dating to Friends [ 2 Answers ]

Had a Long Distance Relationship with a friend of 7-8 years last 3months or so w/ sex. Was perfect besides the time we're apart. We broke up due to college, semi mutual. She wanted the break up, I sort've did too at the time. But' I'm glad it ended now that I look back at it. I Hurt her...

View more questions Search