Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khalvynnov Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 10:32 AM
    PC spyware, malware.
    One of my PCs picked up a virus/malware/spyware (the computer is a Dell GX50 all generic parts in it) My mom unkowenly dowloaded some stuff on that PC and now it's all messed up (or FUBAR).
    There is 3 icons (black monitor icons) one with a sword in the screen of the icon called "Protect your Privacy" , one with a circle with a slash through it called "Malware Defender" and the third one has a magnifying Glass called "System Error Fixer" .
    All these have been install by themselves I guess, but the bad thing about it is that it has removed the hard drive, the CD rom, Control Panel, All Programs list... etc. I cannot get command prompt, can't reboot uing the windows XP CD or pretty much anything to get this problem fix that I know of at least.
    Also this System Antivirus 2008 program runs (I think it's windows XP but I'm not sure about that. Anyway this antivirus runs thenI get a warning saying

WARNING! Attack Detected
    System Antivirus 2008 has detected possible harmful actions from remote computer on the network. Blaster/Sasser.varient worm behaviordetected. You have to register your copy to get full protection feature set and an ability to detect upcoming threats. To begin online registration please click "Activate Now" button below.

Can't click on it because the PC freezes up after that. I don't know what to do to fix it so here I am to see if anyon know about this or has had this prolem and could let me know what I can do.
    Oh by the way the dell thinks that the PC are networked, but I don't think they are I can't access either PC with the other one.

Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 7, 2008, 10:36 AM
    This is a well known piece of malware.
    Best idea is to boot in to safe mode and remove it from there.

More information can be found here: remove Antivirus 2008 - Google Search

Oct 7, 2008, 02:49 PM
    I think I tried the safe mode before and nothing happened because there is no HD, Control Panel, and all the same things that I stated above. I'll have another look if you think that's the fix.

I looked at the webpage that you stated and it says I need to DL Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware but the only problem with that is not only did it hijack the PC it also hijacked the internet explorer I can only get to the one page that I need to DL for there cure when it doesn't freeze the PC and as for trying to get to other webpages I get the big 404 error. So I don't think that it'll work.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2008, 03:17 PM
    My father-in-law just had this. You'll need to get the fix software on a USB key from another computer then run it in Safe Mode on that PC.

Oct 8, 2008, 05:54 PM

NeedKarma, do you mean a boot disk?
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Oct 10, 2008, 06:52 PM

Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

This is the best program to find and kill the fake rogue program System Antivirus 2008

Run the anti spyware remove program like super anti spyware

Run a complete scan with free curing utility Dr.Web CureIt!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove RVHOST.EXE malware ? [ 15 Answers ]

Does anyone have idea about the RVHOST.EXE malware, and how to remove this permanently, or Patch the OS in order not to get infected again in future? Mcafee version 8.0 + Antispyware + Patch 14 cannot remove this malware :o :o The only software that can remove this is PREVX, but it's a trial...

Going nuts! Is it really malware? [ 5 Answers ]

Some of you know my Paypal and adSense accounts were compromised a couple weeks ago. Sorry for the long one, but here's my latest: I tried a few products since then and settled on running ZoneAlarm Free for firewall and AVG Free for antivirus. Also running Malware Sweeper Free, Windows...

Need help removing Svichost.exe Malware [ 1 Answers ]

Does Anyone Have Idea About Svichosst.exe Malware? And How To Remove It Permanently. Regards, Mushak

SpyLocked Malware Invasion of my O.S. [ 1 Answers ]

When using my space.com I got infected with a bogus spyware program that is counterfeit And I can't get rid of it. I used SpyHunter and it got rid of other malware but I can't shake SpyLocked out of my operating system. When I try to delete it I get a message that I can't because Windows is...

View more questions Search