Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fuller127 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Non refundable pet deposits
    In New York State, can a landlord charge a non refundable pet deposit for rentals?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 7, 2008, 08:13 AM

If its in the lease, yes.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 12:51 PM

Actually... this gets interesting. It really depends on what the state law says. For example, California says that all deposits are refundable, no matter what they are called (security, pet, etc.). And the law trumps a lease, so if the lease says it's non-refundable, you can demand the money back when you leave.

Which is probably why some landlords do pet rent instead/as well. That's not a deposit, and they get it every month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non refundable pet fee [ 9 Answers ]

I am a landlord in the state of north carolina- I charged a $350 non refundable pet deposit to tenants that had 3 cats- they moved out - there was damage to one room of carpeting- from coffee and excessive wear- the tenant says that the cat spilled the coffee- I deducted from his security deposit...

Non refundable bond [ 3 Answers ]

After my application for the apartment, they sent me an approval with an issue of "bond" 90 dollars, what is the bond? Why I have to pay for this, they never told me about the bond? How do I know if they are charing this for no reason or not? What if they are tripping? Trying to get more money...

Can pet deposits be legally non-refundable in Iowa? [ 2 Answers ]

I paid a pet deposit along with my security deposit prior to moving into my apartment. I ended up not having my dog in the apartment but for 4 days before I realized I could not financially and physically care for him anymore. My landlord said he would "look into" returning the deposit, then...

Security deposits/pet deposits - Texas tenant law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, This involves a lease that went month to month and verbal agreements. During tenants stay, they broke several personal items (sculptures, fountain) on the property and brought in a second dog. In the written lease, there is nothing abuot pets. I gave them erbal permission to have one...

PA non refundable deposit [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord is trying to charge me a non-refundable pet deposit. I read that it is illegal in PA to charge a non-refundable deposit. My original lease stated I was allowed a cat/dog no bigger than 40lbs. And there was no mention of a pet deposit or a pet fee per month. Thanks, Matt

View more questions Search