Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Dogs and wild canids
    I was out walking Trink this evening, and we actually spotted one of the local coyotes out in the easement, not that far away. (I'm terrible at judging distance, but I'd say like 40-50 feet!) Up until now we'd only heard them at night. Trink was very interested, and that got me wondering... do dogs understand that coyotes and wolves are not domestic dogs? Trink was in alert mode, but I don't know if she was thinking "gee.. a friend!" or "kill the enemy!" The other confounding factor is that greyhounds were brought out west largely to chase down and kill jackrabbits and coyotes. So I don't know if she has an instinctive dislike of them, or if they need to be trained to hunt coyotes... and if that, then do they distinguish between them and other dogs?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 04:17 AM

We have coyotes here as well and when my hound hears them, her ears go down, so I guess she recognizes in the call that they are not domestic friendly animals. Dogs have gone missing in our neighbourhood, albeit small dogs I should say. I know Taffy would give a good fight, she is quite large, but amongst a pack, no, she wouldn't win.

Trink could probably catch a scent at a distance (of the coyote) and recognize danger in the scent.

Greyhounds and the Borzoi don't have to be trained to chase and kill, it is inherent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Into the Wild [ 4 Answers ]

What are people's thoughts on this movie? I am at a similar age to the main character, whilst I am not like him in many aspects- I can't help but relate to him and what he seeks... Thoughts, review and people's perception behind the meaning would be appreciated. "Happiness is only real if shared"

My rat is wild. [ 8 Answers ]

I got a female rat yesterday and te person who served us when we got her (Who once had two rats of her own) told me to leave her for a day. We did, I tried to pick her up today but I didn't succeed. I have never had a rat before so can anyone give me any tips? Another thing is she stays in a corner...

Wild, wild west. [ 3 Answers ]

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink. Unfortunately, the locals had a habit of picking on strangers. So when he finished his drink, he found his horse had been stolen. He went back into the bar, handily flipped his gun into the air, caught it above his head and fired a shot...

Movie about wild dogs [ 1 Answers ]

I need to figure out the name of a horror or suspense movie that me and all my cousins watched when we were younger... It was about a family on an Island( summer home or something), there were dogs there that were left behind and they started attacking people and killing them it has to be from the...

Shy but wants to be wild [ 11 Answers ]

Ok here's the thing! Me and my boyfriend have just started having sex, he was my first. I am a naturally kinky person (my mind runs wild and there is so much I want to do) and I know he would probably like something other then missionary style, I know he would like me on top! The thing is I'm shy!...

View more questions Search