Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    -i-love-my-boyfriend Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 03:54 PM
    5-6 weeks old
    I just got a new puppy today, people were treating her really bad, I need help on how to look after her... food etc please
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 06:18 PM
    <moved to Dogs>
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 06:37 PM

What kind of shape is she in? At the very least, your best bet is to call your vet for professional advice. 5-6 weeks is still very young. Depending on how she looks, a visit to the vet is a good idea.

Anyone who can treat a 5-6 week old puppy "really bad" should be arrested.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2008, 04:26 AM
    Yes 5-6 weeks is too young, but she may be better off for being out of the abusive home.

You should be feeding a puppy chow now. Switching to an adult chow for the larger breeds at 4 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier joints.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog

Half a cup 3 times a day may be about right to start at now. Almost any of the commercial puppy chows should be fine. If you know what she was eating before, it may be a good idea to stick to it.

Check the sticky at the top of the page for more on caring for puppies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Baby is 4`1/2 weeks in growth and I thought I was 6 weeks [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new wife of 6 months with an amazing husband... we recently in August had a miscarriage and now became pregnant again... here's the thing... My last period was on dec 22nd and I am NOT regular.. between 32-39 day cycles... I had an ultra sound today and it said my baby was only about...

11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks? [ 8 Answers ]

I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage. I am waiting...

26 weeks, 3 weeks behind in growth, dr's concerned. [ 7 Answers ]

My baby is now 26 weeks, but measures 23, the Dr.'s are very concerned and have brought up the possibility of having a skeletal disorder(dwarf) because she is behind on growth, we did an amnio and also blood tests which all came back fine. They have also not found any other abnormalities. Is this...

How many weeks [ 1 Answers ]

A women wants to run a 10km( kilometer) race, she can run 10 mimutes per mile, how many weeks will it take her to run the race.

View more questions Search