Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrfancypants Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

May 26, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Chemical-physical changes
    What is the difference of a physical and a chemical change?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 26, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Many times, when something changes, it changes both physically and chemically.

So if you're looking for examples of Physical change or Chemical change by themselves, then Physical change would refer to a change of Property: that is changing from liquid to gas, solid to liquid, etc. (There are 4 properties: gas, liquid, solid and plasma).

Chemical change would be like adding a little salt to water.

Does that help?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 26, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Sorry, but my above answer is weak.

A better, more complete answer is here:
    http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae244.cfm

"1. A physical change is reversible, a chemical change is not. For example, the freezing of water would be a physical change because it can be reversed, whereas the burning of wood is a chemical change - you can't 'unburn' it

2. A physical change is a change in which no new substance is formed; a chemical change results in the formation of one or more new substances. Again, consider the previous examples: Freezing water into ice just results in water molecules which are 'stuck' together - it's still H2O. Whereas burning wood results in ash, carbon dioxide, etc, all new substances which weren't there when you started."
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

May 26, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

When considering a physical change it is important to understand the physical properties associated with the change.

A physical property is basically a characteristic or description of something.

The red sweatshirt.
    The mint condition bike.
    The birthday cake.
    The freezing point of water is 0 ºC.

A physical change is when one or more of these characteristics change without changing the identity of the object or objects involved.

If I wash the sweatshirt and it fades to pink it does not change the fact that it is still a sweatshirt. If it shrinks - it is still a sweatshirt.

If I have an accident and smash up the bike it is still a bike. If I paint it a different color it is still a bike.

If I sit on the cake it is still a cake. If I cut the cake it is still a cake.

A lake that freezes over is still good ol' fashioned H-2-O it is just in a solid form.

Chemical changes involve a reorganization of the atoms that make up something. New substances are formed in chemical reactions.

If I put the sweatshirt on a bonfire it will no longer be a sweatshirt. It will be ashes and some gases.

If the bike rusts it is beginning to change completely from iron to iron (III) oxide, a new compound with new properties.

If I eat the cake, the enzymes in my body will assist other chemicals in my body to break down the cake and create new things. EWWW we won't talk about those :p

H2O can be broken down chemically in a process called electrolysis. By adding an electric current to the water we can change H2O into hydrogen and oxygen gases. Two new substances with new properties.

In short, physical changes involve changing a characteristic and chemical changes involve the breaking and/or forming of chemical bonds to create new things with new properties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Physical custody [ 4 Answers ]

What would be the reason for a judge to decide to take away the physical custody for one parent to the other?? I'm a college student, and I don't work. However my husband work. If I get divorced, can the judge give the physical custody of my baby to my husband just because I am not working? I am...

Physical Custody [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the reason for a judge to decide to take away the physical custody for one parent to the other?? I'm a college student, and I don't work. However my husband work. If I get divorced, can the judge give the physical custody of my baby to my husband just because I am not working? I am...

Physical, And Other Problems [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so I shaved my pubes the other day, LOTS OF ITCHING! God it hurts! And now all of a sudden I just remembered I have to go to a physical in like a week for wrestling... And I have a bumpy bald groin... :eek: what to do?

[HELP]gr11 chemistry - predicting chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations [ 5 Answers ]

hey can nebody help me with my chemistry hmwk? i dun really get it... :confused: thanks! For each of the following reactions, determine what the products of each reaction will be. When you have predicted the products, balance the equation and use a table of solubility products to...

View more questions Search