Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Our adored cat 'Bow' was savaged by a Staffy and miraculously survived
    On Saturday our adorable and much loved himalayan persian 'Bow' was viscously savaged by a Staffy dog. It was an horrific ordeal, yet miraculously Bow is alive and home with us again after two nights of emergency vet care.

The dog has not done as well as a man who came running to our aid after what seemed an eternity of the kids and I screaming and frantically hitting out at the dog, gave it a few hard kicks in the stomach that made it finally let go of our 'Bow'. The dog fled with my son who just arrived on the scene in hot pursuit to chase it as far away as possible. Bow was raced to the vet that fortunately is only a short stroll away and was immediately given oxygen to help him survive the shock. When my son caught up with the Staffy he also got him to the vet. Although the Staffy hasn't died from his injuries, I would expect the dog control people will make the right decision to have him put down. He often roams the neighbourhood without a collar. Unfortunately he is far too dangerous, not just to other animals, but also young children.

We brought Bow home yesterday morning. Poor thing is still in horrible pain. He mostly curled up under one of the beds and just wanted to be left alone. Last night we kept him on top of the bed and at about 4am he finally drank a good amount water.

Miraculously, after being savaged for at least a few minutes and with wounds all over his body (there was a moment during the attack when I thought he would to die), Bow has no broken or fractured bones and all his internal organs are fine. After seeing the vet again this morning, the only concern at the moment is that his muscle tissue in his hind leg are knotting up that might require surgery to be corrected. Otherwise, all signs are good for his recovery.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 04:36 PM

Tragically, Bow's condition suddenly deteriorated on Tuesday and having exhausted every possible avenue, yesterday we lost the battle to save his life.

Bow has been buried amongst the irises that are in flower in our garden. He has been such an adored and comforting friend... such a beautiful and gentle soul.
    kaokitty Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 05:02 PM

I'm really sorry to hear what happened to your fuzzy family member; that story made me cry.

I have had a cats in my life for 21 years (I'm 24) so I know how hard it is to lose one.

I'm also surprised and happy that you also got the attacking dog to the vet! Most people wouldn't have done something that admirable.

Again, very sorry for your loss :(
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 06:10 PM

Thank you so much, that means a lot to me. It's been a devastating loss for our family, as we all loved him so much.

Amazingly, my children's father who has not been able to anywhere near me for well over two years was here at the time and he and our son prepared Bow's grave which is in a quiet part of our garden. They carried Bow home in his cat box together from the vet.

Bow was wrapped in a cloth I had wrapped my kimono in for years and my daughter had been working on a heart-shaped satin cushion that was placed on top. My daughter also took a lock of her's and Bow's hair that sits behind a photo of Bow inside the picture frame that sits on top of his grave.

Arrow, who is a torty and was like a partner to Bow, stayed nearby. Because of her sweet and affectionate nature, she's been a beautiful comfort to all of us.

Needless to say, we were all a sopping mess saying goodbye to our beloved friend... I feel we owe it to Bow to keep our family better connected from now on.

From one cat lover to another... thank you again for your very sweet and kind thoughts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Staffy has no interest in his meals [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, my 13 week old staff puppy isn't eating as well.. He use to eat 4 portions off good dry food a day as well as the odd treat for well behaviour and now he won't eat hardly anything.. I no people say they WILL eat if they get that hungry, but I don't want him to hAve his weight yo-yo-in up and...

My staffy 5 and half month [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my staffy is 5 and half month old and has gone off her food she picks at it but doesn't eat a great amount, she not got runny p** or anything other then not eating she hasn't ate for four dayz now.

Sick Staffy [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Just a bit of advice or your opinion please. I have an 8month old Staff Terrier and 4 days ago she went off her food. Her stools became loose and she started vomiting. I took her straight to the vets thinking she may have swallowed something (she's a bit of a scavenger!) but after...

View more questions Search