Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ivy3106 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Morbidly obsesity
    My son is 4yrs. Old and he is what they call "morbidly obese" and he has seen pleanty of dr.s and heart specailist and they have called social services on me saying I am overfeeding my kid and to put him on a special diet we have done all that and he continues to gain weight what can you do to help me with this situtuation? I need help really bad and if I don't I don't want anyone taking him away from me and I am very depressed and I don't think I can take much more I really need some help from someone out there!

Thanks for your time today hope to hear from you soon.

Tori
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy3106 View Post
    my son is 4yrs. old and he is what they call "morbidly obese" and he has seen pleanty of dr.s and heart specailist and they have called social services on me saying i am overfeeding my kid and to put him on a special diet we have done all that and he continues to gain weight what can you do to help me with this situtuation? i need help really bad and if i don't i don't want anyone taking him away from me and i am very depressed and i don't think i can take much more i really need some help from someone out there!

thanks for your time today hope to hear from you soon.

tori

If all health issues have been ruled out it would appear he is taking in more calories than he's burning. Exercise would help; perhaps another diet; perhaps the food in his diet is not being measured accurately. At 4 years of age he presumably is not sneaking off and ordering fast food or cooking his own meals so somebody needs to take another look at what's going on here.

What does his Physician say?

And, yes, there are legal cases where parents have lost custody due to the child's life threatening obesity - but you are trying to get some help so I don't see that happening unless something is missing from this story.

Oct 6, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Thank you so much for your help! I will get back to you soon!

Oct 6, 2008, 12:46 PM

The bad part is that he has to go to another dr. cause they have sent the last two that he has had somewhere else and they were doing all they could for him. So we are in the process of finding him another dr. I wanted to ask you do you think a low carb diet is good for him and me cause I am a dieabetic and I had it when I was pregnant with him. He was 8lbs. 12 oz. when he was born. Would that or a diabetic diet work cause his social worker said that that might work for both of us.
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 12:52 PM
    the bad part is that he has to go to another dr. cause they have sent the last two that he has had somewhere else and they were doing all they could for him. so we are in the process of finding him another dr. i wanted to ask you do you think a low carb diet is good for him and me cause i am a dieabetic and i had it when i was pregnant with him. he was 8lbs. 12 oz. when he was born. would that or a diabetic diet work cause his social worker said that that might work for both of us.

This is medical advice which I am not qualified to give. Is he diabetic or pre-diabetic by any chance? How about the exercise factor? Could you get him to start slowly, maybe work his way up to an exercise program? It would be somewhat helpful.

My husband was diabetic so I know how hard it is to manage your diet. It must have been rough on you to be both diabetic and pregnant.

I'm always preaching that people take diabetes too lightly, don't understand the long-term problems - but that's another subject entirely.:)

Have you tried a pediatrician? (You probably have.)

This must be frustrating for you but remember - you're doing everything you can to get help for him.

Oct 6, 2008, 01:03 PM

Yes. Thank you so much for getting back to me. We have a dog that's still a pup that he got for his b-day 2 months. Ago and we walk him and the dog around the block. Then we go to this big parking lot and walk then run then walk again I think its about a mile or 1/2 of mile. And we also have a walking trail and that is 8 miles but, I haven't gotten that far even when I walk it.
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 01:06 PM
    yes. thank you so much for getting back to me. we have a dog that's still a pup that he got for his b-day 2 mos. ago and we walk him and the dog around the block. then we go to this big parking lot and walk then run then walk again i think its about a mile or 1/2 of mile. and we also have a walking trail and that is 8 miles but, i haven't gotten that far even when i walk it.

Well, I'm healthy and unless I'd really build up to it I can't imagine myself walking 8 miles!

Sounds like you're trying. Please let us know how this works out.

Oct 6, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Oh and about the pediatrican part we had one a good one and they sent him off and then we went to this one lady and she put him on sterroids and then when he started gaining the weight at about two she just ignored it until he got really big then she wanted to send him to places I couldn't afford to go and his insurance wouldn't pay for it so she wanted to put him with another family like it was my fault. So we went to another dr. that was really concerened and started running his own tests but, now he's gone.
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
    oh and about the pediatrican part we had one a good one and they sent him off and then we went to this one lady and she put him on sterroids and then when he started gaining the weight at about two she just ignored it until he got really big then she wanted to send him to places i couldn't afford to go and his insurance wouldn't pay for it so she wanted to put him with another family like it was my fault. so we went to another dr. that was really concerened and started running his own tests but, now he's gone.

Oh, good grief! Steroids? At age 2?

And, yes, those live in places are beyond affordable.

Have you tried perhaps a County Hospital or a County Health office to get referrals?

You should be threatened like that. No wonder you're worried. However, that's not how it works. It's a fairly long procedure and I see no neglect here.

Oct 6, 2008, 01:16 PM

Thank you so much for all your help! I really appreciate it. I finally have someone to listen to me. He is very highly active and the neiborhood kids love him and he's always playing I just don't see where and how he's not losing wieght. He even throws up a lot when he gets upset or when he gets hot and I tell all the dr.s that and they say that it is normal. Is it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Morbidly Obese and need to loose weight now- any miracles [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I need any advice, insiraptional storie, food diaries, in fact anywting Im a 21 year old female who is fearful to say weighs 22 stone I have managed. I have always been heavy for my age and come from a family if big people however I have come gto braking point I look in the mirror and don't...

View more questions Search