Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TL in SA Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Roots in sewer line
    Tenant says plumbing is backing up; plumber says it is roots in the sewer line. Line has been roto-ed as best as possible. Plumber says we 'may' need to remove the tree and replace the line. 'May'?? What are the names of the product(s) that can be put into the line to kill/destroy the roots? How effective are they? Will it only attack the roots in the line or will it kill the tree too? Advice is appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 6, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Going in, let me say that sooner or later you're going to have to bite the bullet and replace that old sewer line with PVC. The very first thing that must be done is to send a snake with a cutter tip,(see image) to cut and clear the line. Then If you wish to control roots RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Hope this helps Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 07:03 AM

Truthfully said, and based on many years of experience, once you have roots in your sewer line, they are there to stay, and prosper, as long as you live in the house!

Roto-Rooting and putting "root killer" agents into the line is only temporary solution. The only solution is to excavate your main and replace it with new one. Once you installed new ABS or PVC sewer, tree and its roots won't matter...

Sewer replacements are very expensive work. So, you may do two things:

1. Learn to live with it. Roto-clean your sewer once a year preventively and you should be fine - maybe even twice a year if you have serious problem- and forget replacing sewer.

2. Hire plumber and do sewer video inspection. Stand by the plumber's monitor and see the roots in the sewer. Ask him to give you recorded CD of the inspection. Take that CD and show it to other plumbers for "second" opinion before you commit yourself to replacement work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excluding roots from sewer pipe [ 11 Answers ]

Assuming there was no clean-out fixture, the plumber chiseled a hole in the cast-iron sewer pipe to clear a clog. The patch he installed seeps water and roots clogged the pipe so that he had to come back and use a rooter to clear it. Is there a method for isolating the pipe from the soil so that...

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Sewer smell related to tree roots? [ 5 Answers ]

HI , I have a sewer smell coming out of my basement floor drain and just noticed today that it is coming out of my the vent for my downstairs bathroom. About 4 years ago we had to have the main line cleared because it was completely clogged with tree roots. Could the line be clogging again? Or...

Sewer Line plugged at city line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi~I own an old home and all of a sudden we have plugged sewer drainage! First, the toilet REALLY overflowed and after plunging the toilet, it backflowed into the shower, ugh, nasty! I took the toilet off, snaked (50 feet) into the lines, nothing there, did the same with the shower. Still...

Storm Sewer Tree Roots [ 3 Answers ]

I have tree roots that accumulate in a cleanout trap just before the storm drain leaves the house. The hair like ends of these roots appear in the clean out. Occasionally, there is also some sand that deposits there. The combination blocks the discharge, which has caused a back up into the...

View more questions Search