Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davewatkins Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 6, 2008, 03:56 AM
    Home care for the elderly
    Hello,

I wish to start a home care service for the elderly. The services will include most aspects i.e help washing, dressing, housework etc. My wife is experienced working in this industry but I need to know what qualifications, insurances are necessary to start the business, and what local authoritys need from me so I can register with them as a business.
    There are probably many other topics I am unaware of, some guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Dave

>Moved from Forum Help<
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 05:21 AM

Are you going to have homecare workers in your employ, aside from your spouse? Would like to know because it will change my advice.
    davewatkins Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 6, 2008, 06:54 AM

Yes, my wife will start with clients and as it grows we will employ others,

Many thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2008, 02:04 AM

Depending on where you plan to operate this kind of business, you might also need to be licensed as well as having some specific training. But, I'm sure that tickle will be able to advise you about those things.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 05:03 AM

Globalvillagehomecare.com will do some explaining, and I t hink it offers guidelines for sale, which you will need in order to find out what state licences you need to get started. I would also suggest good liability insurance as you will probably be driving seniors back and forth to doctor appontments. And document, document, document everything regarding in home care. Have a client record in the home so this is done on a daily basis and outlines what care you have promised to provide. Actually what I am suggesting is a Care Plan for each.

I work in the healthcare sector in Ontario, and as you may realize, not necessarily the same way as you, where you are. I belong to an organization mandated by the government and provide elderly care as a Personal Support Worker Cert. My training encompassed 200 hours of clinical care in a nursing home which gave me the base of knowledge.

I strongly suggest you start with clients at your skill level and demographics. Take courses in CPR, physical therapy, you will probably have to identify needs as you see them; my clients have already been assessed so this is not necessary. If you find the need to hire extra help then I suggest only Personal Support Workers as the are trained in the discliplines and strongly suggest anyone spend time in a nursing home learning how to handle elderly clients.

Is your wife a PSW or RN ? I suggest you have a doctor accessible for emergencies

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Title of 80s movie w/metal aliens and elderly folks take care of them [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know the title of a movie I am sure came out in the later 80s early 90s. The movie features an home or building with elderly people that have little metal aliens on there rooftop and I believe the elderly took care of the little metal aliens. My brother said that paul rodriguez was in it...

Elderly care calls. [ 5 Answers ]

Is Realpersonreminder.com a good elderly care call service or is it like all the rest of the computer call services? My 90 year old elderly mother lives a long way from me and I don't have the time everyday to call and wake her up and check on her. I work all kinds of crazy hours and need a...

Home care for my elderly parents [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to remodel my parents bathroom so that I can adequately take care of them. I do not intend to ever place them in a nursing home but need changes made to the bathroom to make it handicap accessible. How do I go about this and are there grants available?

Repossession of modular home from elderly person [ 3 Answers ]

What can a mortgage company do to an elderly person(95) for non-payment on her modular home, due to her having to be put into a nursing home, other than just repossessing the modular home. They are threatening to take her to court.

Save elderly couple home [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way to save a coulple in their 80s, paid off residence, if their rental property goes in to foreclosure. They can no longer aford to keep up the expense of the rental . Rents have fallen in the area far below what they need to continue to make the payments. Also the house has been...

View more questions Search