Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babbagene Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2008, 11:53 PM
    What happens in divorce with spouses check
    I have another question, I am on ssi now (for a back injury), its permanent. I will use round numbers to make it easy, first off I have a wife (not working , and 2 children (ages 15 and 5) I receive a check for $1300 and the rest of my family each get a check for appx $216 apiece ( that's the wife and 2 children). My wife and I are divorcing and the kids will be legally staying with me, can you tell me in what way that will affect the amount and distribution of the ssi checks.My wife will be getting a job , so no need to figure in alimony or things like that.
    I am hoping that I do not lose my wife's $216 portion , but instead that it nows gets figured into my children amounts. I am hoping I will not loose any money (it will only be distributed differently).
    Please only answer this question if you are absolutely positive of how this will work.
    Thank you
    Sam
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2008, 11:26 AM

I can't see you still collecting for the wife if you are divorced. Sorry, you can't keep her portion as it won't be paid to you as the govt will find out and eliminate her monthly amount.

Oct 18, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Twinkie correct me if I am wrong , but my disability check is figured out (not by the amount of people in my family , but by what I paid into it and how much I made over the years), with that in mind I get one check , and then the remaining qualifying people in my family get half the amount of my check(which is divided amongst the amount of qualifying family members I have)Example: If I receive $2000 on my check , the remaining family members would receive $1000 split amongst them equaly. So if my wife divorces me I don't think it should change the amount of my families portion of the check ( which in this case would be $1000) , however instead of that $1000 being divided between my wife and 2 children , now it would be divided between just my 2 children.
    BTW I will have custody of both my children.
    Please look into this and get back to me .
    Thank You,
    Sam
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 07:56 AM

When your check is diminished by the fact the wife is not longer married to you, tell this story to the disability people.
    cliffdonovan Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 01:27 AM
    Your ssi won't change but you may be able to get "other" public assistance to help with the kids. You ssi is not determined by how many dependents you have. It is just concerned about YOU.

Oct 24, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Twinkie , just as I suspected , you are wrong! I just hung up the phone with 2 different ssdi REPS and they both said that my 2 children's checks would be increased once my wife's check is eliminated! So in my example if My check were $2000 and the $1000 for my family were split 3 ways (wifeand 2 children) , then once my wife leaves the $1000 would now be split between my 2 children at $500 apiece)! The amount of my SSDI for my family does NOT change!
    Before you respond telling me Im wrong please gives SSDI a call!
    Thank You
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 09:51 PM

I am on SSDI. The total amount does not change with deletion of one of the dependents.

Oct 24, 2008, 10:09 PM
    Simon ty so much for reaffirming what I had thought .
    Regards
    Sam

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scare after divorce can I make it with two kids and diable with my check? [ 5 Answers ]

How Will I Make House Payment Lght Bill Ect.. with Two Kids Still At Home?

Spouses as dependents? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I claim my spouse as a dependent on my tax returns?

Once divorce papers are filed can spouses liquidate material assets? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm living with my son and his wife while my wife and I go through divorce. Once either party files for divorce are the assets frozen for disposition later or can a spouse start liquidating material assets without the other spouses knowledge?

Workplace Spouses [ 2 Answers ]

I am a journalist working on a story about the phenomenon of "workplace spouses" a reference to the intense personal and empotional bonds--not sexual--that can form between mena and women who work very closely together for very long hours. I have been told by HR experts that these relationships can...

View more questions Search