Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BDEllzey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Required roof replacement
    We had roof damage from a recent wind storm. I've had three roofing companies say the whole roof needs to be replaced, but the insurance adjuster said they would probably only replace the missing shingles.

I was told there was a certain percent of damage after which the insurance company has to replace the entire roof. Is this true, and if so, what is that amount?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 01:52 PM

Each adjuster has his own picture in his mind based on his companies training. One company I deal with replaced both sides of an entire roof just because a tree branch fell and poked a 3' hole on one side. A year later, same company different adjuster, wanted to patch a roof where 1/4 the shingles were damaged on one side. Ask you insurance company to send you a more experienced adjuster because he differs so much from your estimates.
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 4, 2008, 02:05 PM
    I do a lot of contracting work for insurance companies and the previous answer is right. It all depends on what the adjuster wants to do. I personally will not patch shingle roofs, I always at least replace to a hip or valley, anywhere that is an obvious breaking point. I would call my agent (not the adjuster) and express your concerns about how the roof is being bid. Believe it or not your insurance company probably would like to keep you as a customer so they will want you happy.

Hope this helps,

Aaron
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 02:31 PM

Is the insurance adjuster an independent or a insurance employee,
    Ask to see the adjusters supervisor
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 4, 2008, 03:00 PM
    That depends on the company whether they use independent adjusters. Your best bet is to go directly to your insurance agent. If the adjuster is writing his estimate to only replace a few shingles chances are that is the way he was trained and you will get no where with his supervisor.

Aaron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance/roof replacement [ 6 Answers ]

There was a tornado in my neighborhood 6 months ago. A roofer looked at my roof and said there is damage. He also said that my shingles are discontinued and are not being made anymore so the insurance co. Should replace the whole roof. The insurance co. said they can match any shingle as long as it...

Attach gable roof to flat roof [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a three season attached screenroom. We are uncertain how to attach the gable roof to the present roof (gabled in the opposite direction, so the attachment is on the flat side). We have spent hours trying to locate do it yourself instructions and can only find do it yourself kits...

Roof replacement - insurance refuses [ 6 Answers ]

What if your homeowner's insurance will not replace your roof but every neighbor within three blocks has had their roof replaced by their insurance company? What recourse do you have?:mad:

Roof replacement [ 8 Answers ]

I have a very old tile roof that has a leak. I had a roofer come by to examine the roof and he said the entire roof needed to be replaced. The tiles that are on the roof presently are fifty years old. They have lasted this long because they are made to weather the hot sun , rain, and wind of South...

Roof replacement-tear off vs cover over [ 2 Answers ]

My original roof on my home is approx 19 years old.It probably needs to be replaced.One roofer's estimate recommends a tear off and replacement of the asphalt shingles (more expensive)the second one says that is not necessary just cover old roof with new shingles. What is best other than price...

View more questions Search