Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtpa2j Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Relocated to Nashville, wife still in Memphis
    I relocated to Nashville for a job and will be here for at least a year. Due to the housing market and her having a good job, my wife is staying in Memphis. How much of my relocation/living expenses can I deduct from this years taxes?

Thank you,

Jeff

Oct 5, 2008, 04:35 PM

I should add that my permanent address is still in Memphis.

Jeff
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Right now, you can claim NOTHING.

If you KNEW the job was temporary in nature (less than one year), you could deduct your daily living expenses (on the assumption that your employer was not reimbursing you for these expenses with tax-free money).

If you KNEW the job was permanent, you could claim certain moving expenses.

However, since you know neither, you cannot claim ANY deduction now.

Once you DO know, you can amend your 2007 and 2008 return accordingly.

Oct 12, 2008, 06:04 PM

I knew the job was permanent. The question is can I deduct any living expenses until my wife moves up here?

Jeff
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Nagative. A permanent job move does NOT allow the deduction for daily living costs.

You can claim moving expenses, both the immeidate expenses and the expenses to move your wife later.

Claim these moving expenses in the year`they are incurred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocated without custody, but had an agreement with his father [ 15 Answers ]

Let me start by saying that my situation is fairly unique. I had my oldest son when I was 14 years old, and his father was 16. I took full responsibility, and raised my son who is now 7. My sons father and I never married, and he does pay child support, but we never discussed custody, Due to the...

In Nashville, TN can a spouse be held liable towrd husband's debt/judgement? [ 2 Answers ]

I gave a man $1500 to buy my daughter a car at an auction and he did not get the car, nor did he give me my money back. I took him to court and the judge said he had 10 days to pay me... which he did not show up in court (he called to get the outcome), and he still has not given me my money! The...

Get out of a Parking ticket downtown Nashville, TN [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, so I got a parking ticket last night in downtown Nashville, Tennessee. I didn't notice the sign, and know I had seen motorcycles parked there before. Anyway, so I met the cop as she arrived and started writing my ticket. She was very rude, but that's beside the point. I am just wondering if...

Nashville airport [ 2 Answers ]

Ohkay.. so I had a dream where I was going to the nashville airpport in a chevy avalanche(which I have) but I came to this lake that I had to drive through. and idid! I just drove through it like there was not problem.. what does that mean? :confused:

Relocated , Buy house before short sale? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has been relocated with his company from California to Oregon. We've had our house up for sale for almost 3 months now reducing the price gradually from 269k to 229k w/out any calls. I've had different options thrown out at me. Some say buy a house in Oregon, before negotiating a short...

View more questions Search