Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baker44 Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2008, 04:23 PM
    How to burn a ditch
    We live out in the country. The ditch in the front of our property is very deep. We are unable to cut it with a riding mower as we do the rest of the lawn. Using a push mower is very strenuous. Weed-whacking is almost as impossible. We have thought that the only way to maintain the ditch would be to burn it down, but we want to do it safely. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to burn the ditch down without causing damage to the property or to ourselves?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 04:35 PM

We had to do this on our farm from time to time. It has be, of course, a controlled blaze and we consulted with our local fire department first.

I don't know what your conditions are, but call your local fire department, tell them what you want to accomplish and ask them to advise.

We always did it a bit at a time (most damage is done when the embers go underground) so you have to keep lots of water around and make sure the area is well soaked afterwards, and even then, keep a close watch.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 10:40 AM

You got some good advice already but keep in mind you can't burn much vegaration if its green. You can kill most of the weeds with Roundup or Roundup Brush Killer, then burn or just let the dead material eventually collapse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is a steam burn worse than a hot water burn ? [ 18 Answers ]

I would like to have the answers in short abou t the following : a) Why asteam burn is worse than a hot water burn? b) A pressure cooker cooks food faster c) A car cooling system is usually pressurized d)An astronaut needs a pressurized space suit all round his body e)It is difficult to make...

Stopping ditch erosion [ 3 Answers ]

A ditch in my side yard has gotten wider during the past year because of fast drainage from a neighboring subdivision. The ditch was once about 4 feet deep and 3 feet wide; now it is about 5 feet deep and 5 feet wide. How do I restore about 2 feet of it and stop the rest of the ditch from...

Ditch him or not [ 1 Answers ]

Well I met a man 3 weeks ago on line. We emailed, talked on the phone. I have met him twice,for lunch, he calls me everyday 2-3 times to ask how I am and just to talk. Tells me to call whenever I feel like it. (I had been with a guy whom was an alcoholic, womanizer, always staring and talking of...

Can't burn cds but DVDS burn fine [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hi there I have looked through the relevant forum pages and couldn't find the answer so here goes.I have a Sony DVD RW DW -D22A (cd rom drive)if I want to burn any DVD fine no problems but a different matter for cdrs.If I put a blank cdr into the drive and then try to burn all that...

View more questions Search