Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtpa2j Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Water level in commode is low
    I had to empty the bathtub recently by pouring buckets of water into the commoded. As I did this, it would flush on its own. Now the water level is very low and when I flush the commode using the handle, the water level rises (almost to overflowing) and then flushes. Then it goes back to the low level. Did I mess something up by pouring the water in from the bathtub? Please help!

Jeff
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Did I mess something up by pouring the water in from the bathtub?
    I don't think so unless you flushed a wash cloth down. But first things first. What's the matter with the tub drain and why do you have to empty the tub with a pail? Let's fix the tub and we'll go on to the toilet. Talk to me, tell me about the tub. Regards, Tom

Oct 5, 2008, 04:08 PM
    Tom,

The tub had to be emptied because the drain was leaking. After I emptied out the tub, the plumber fixed the drain and everything's fine with the tub. When I dumped the water in the commode, it flushed by itself and immediately the water level was very low - almost no water in the bowl part at all. I just figured it would 'reset' itself after the first real flush, but it hasn't. We have had no prior issues with this commode at all.

Thanks,

Jeff
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 04:11 PM

Yes, it sounds like you have a drainage problem with your tub, may be affecting the toilet. Need more info.
    As far as the low water level in toilet, you have made the toilet flush by dumping in large amount of water. The water level stays low because your fill valve is not filling it back up, because you didn't actually flush the toilet.
    Now when you flush the toilet, if the water lever goes higher than normal in the bowl, this takes me back to a drainage problem in your main line. Having problems with any other fixtures in the house draining or gurgling?

Oct 5, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Nope! No other problems before or after (except for the drain issue on the tub and that was because it was incorrectly installed by ReBath).

Jeff

So if my only issue is the "water level stays low because your fill valve is not filling it back up", how do I fix that?

Jeff
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jtpa2j View Post
    So if my only issue is the "water level stays low because your fill valve is not filling it back up", how do I fix that?
    Jeff
    I'm assuming that tyou have a float ball type ballcock,(see image) There's a small tube that comes out of the top of the ballcock.(#5) that must connect into the white overflow tube,(#7) It fills the bowl as the tank fills. Make sure the small tube doesn't fall below the tank water level. Let me know if that was it. Good luck, Tom

Oct 5, 2008, 04:30 PM

I will! Thank you!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 06:33 PM

Tom offers the best graphics !

I agree with others: make sure the tube marked 5 is pointed to overflow tube 7. Let us know how you did..

Oct 12, 2008, 06:03 PM

Okay guys... sorry it took so long to get back to you. Turns out the answer was "D - None of the Above". Somehow some underwear got flushed and we had a partial clog. New to me, but I'm sure it's happened to someone else (please tell me it has!) :-)

New question - Shower head leaks when we turn on the cold water for a bath. I seriously doubt it's underwear-related, but I'm not discounting anything at this point!

Jeff
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2008, 05:28 AM
    New question - Shower head leaks when we turn on the cold water for a bath. I seriously doubt it's underwear-related, but I'm not discounting anything at this point!
    LOL! Shower heads can leak when the tub fills for a number of reasons. 1) Too short a shower raiser, 2) A partial blockage in the spout that sets up back pressure, **or** 3) excessive house pressure, (what's your house pressure?)
    Back to you, Tom

Oct 13, 2008, 04:51 PM

I'm thinking it's more related to the age of the faucets. The condo is 30+ years old and it may be the original equipment. Would worn washers also be a possible cause?

WOW! Have I stumped everyone? I would have thought this was a common issue. Seems I heard somewhere that worn washers in the faucets could cause leaks. ANY ideas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Water Level [ 5 Answers ]

How do I lower the water level in a toilet? I just bought a condo and the water level is much too high, it has to be lowered. How would I do it without calling a plumber? Can anyone help??

Water level lo [ 9 Answers ]

My toilet seems to be flushing okay, however once the water comes into the toilet it slowly seeps out.

Water leakage + toilet bowl water level [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new house (1.5years old) and I recently noticed water leakage from the ceiling just below the master bathroom on the 2nd floor. I called the home builders (I have warranty on this house) and they said they could not find any leaks and that it happened because of improper usage. I am...

Water level [ 2 Answers ]

When you have your toilet tank and bowl off, looking into the drain, what should the water level be at, or should there be any water in there at all?

Water level in commode [ 1 Answers ]

The water level in my commode is surging. The level in the commode is constantly moving, about 1/2 inch in the level. You can watch it move up and down, even though nothing is running in the commode. The commode flushes with no problem. I have my own septic system and the drainage lines do not...

View more questions Search