Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xinte Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Advice needed please on home hair colouring
    Hi All,
    I used to have a fantastic hairdresser who came to my home every 6 weeks to colour my hair for 10 years, I loved how she did it, but unfortunately she had to move away because of her husbands job. This has been over 6 years and I have tried unsuccessfully to re-create the colour myself at home with various semi-permanents bought in the stores, but they never look the same. I do have more grey hair now but still don't want to use permanent colour. Before my hairdresser left she wrote down what she used in case I found another hairdresser: 7/73 colour bath, use half tube to mix slightly stronger or half 8/73 and half 6/73.
    Obviously I'm not a hairdresser so I don't know what she means by a stronger mix, I'm sure the numbers refer to colours, but when I used to watch her mix everything up in a bowl, she put in with the tubes, some white liquid out of a bottle, which I think must be developer or peroxide and some conditioner.
    What I would like to ask is how much of this developer should I use per tube of colour?
    I know everyone says just go to a proffessional, yes I have done this in the past and paid one hell of an amount to come out with almost black hair when I asked for very light brown just to cover my greys. I have no faith whatsover in them and would love to have a go myself at home. Any help would be really appreciated. My hair is past shoulder length and very thick, reddish light brown with grey of course . Thank you
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 30, 2006, 11:45 PM
    Sweetie, it is best to consult with a professional hairstylist. A professional can do a corrective color by mixing the right formulas. But I have a feeling that you will attempt to color your hair by yourself again, so I will give you some advice. I understand that your hair is currently reddish light brown with some gray in it, but you want your hair to be light light brown (level 6). You will need to use a hair color with ash base in it. Ash base colors takes out the red tones. The hair color to get is Dark Ash Blonde (level 7), it will get rid of the red and tone down the gray, and it will take you closer to your desired color.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Colouring [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, my natural hair colour is a darkish brown, and I've died it a couple of times a really really dark brown but not black. I have really thin hair and it falls out quite a lot and I was wondering if there is anything I can use to completely take out my permanent hair colour leaving my natural...

Hair Colouring from Black [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my hair dyed three times in abour a year with the colour black, once at a salon and two by myself. Now I am am sick of this colour, and have used a hair lightener/bleach. It has made my roots blond, as I have light brown hair, it has made the rest of my hair a red copper colour. I...

More advice needed :S [ 4 Answers ]

Hi again. I hate to nag on about this but if anyone has more advice it would be great. I am still finding either some brown discharge or sometimes a bit of blood everyday from about 3 weeks ago whenever I go to the toilet, although not a lot. But the thing is its really bugging me now because its...

Hair colouring [ 3 Answers ]

Hiya I have dyed my hair loads over the last few years. Now it's a dark brown (prev black-faded out a bit) wit blondish flashes. I want to go blonde, but I don't want to bleach it straight off or dye it because everyone I know who have done it have gone a gingery yellowy orange. I really don't want...

Having problem while colouring my black hair [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! It's Nimmi. My hair colour is completely black. I wanted to highlight my hair with brown colour. But when I used light brown hair colour on my hair then the change of my hair colour hardly noticeable. It's still almost black. I think I should change the colour to blond first, then use brown...

View more questions Search