Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Oct 4, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Meaning of dog's reaction to another dog? How to fix it?
    OK. I have 2 fairly intelligent breed of dogs. Austrialian Shepherds. We live in proximity (very small yards with board fencing) to a neighbor who has forever complained about my dogs anytime/everytime they bark or make any noise whatsoever. But that's not my problem/question.

It just so happened that the neighbor recently removed her 2 big dogs who lived chained all day every day to a post in her yard and she herself was home but not her dogs for about 2 weeks. And now I could finally witness that my dogs absolutely do NOT bark at HER. She was right outside my fence gardening on many occasions, she came and went and came and went and had workmen over to haul in some rocks for her landscaping, etc. My dogs relaxed and lounged in my yard and paid her no attention at all, except maybe a woof when the workmen first arrived. BUT this week she brought her dogs back home. As soon as she chained the dogs back up, my female started this unusual yipping sound (never heard it before we moved in beside this neighbor 2 years ago). My dog gives a few high-pitched yips and licks her lips. After a bit, she settles down. The tied up mutts may or may not be whining (they don't bark, they only howl at sirens and whine like fingernails on a chalkboard whenever the owner lady comes home or appears to be walking in their direction to feed them or give them any attention--actually the only attention she does give them is feeding them any other time she walks right past them and never pets them, although the dogs anticipate that she may and they rise and wag tails and whine in greeting.) My dog will yip/lick anytime that the owner lady is present around her own dogs--again it doesn't matter if her dogs make any sounds or not.

To me, it appears as if my dog is 'reading' the stress in the tied dogs. That when the owner appears whether her dogs make any noise or not, my female Aussie make a very stressful yipping sound, even if she is many yards away.

Why is this happening, what is the dog communication going on? And what could I possibly do to control it?

P.S. There is no getting the neighbor to unchain her dogs. It's a very long story, very long battle and the best I ever did was get her to provide water for her dogs (previously she said 'my dogs don't drink water' although I filled their food bowls with water all summer long with a hose over my fence and watched them drink deeply... ) and I got her to get a heated bowl in winter but no shelter or bedding or freedom...
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Oct 4, 2008, 09:36 PM

Dogs chained in a yard all day violates animal cruelty laws/ordinances in some jurisdictions. That could lead to a lack of socialization that could result in increased risk that the neighbor's dogs could unsocial to the point of attacking someone, In some situations it might be a means to condition the dogs for fighting.

Your description of inadequate water supply and no shelter when winter temperatures can be low enough to require heater in the water bowl would be considered cruelty just about anywhere.

Please bring the situation of your neighbor's dogs to the attention of your local government's animal control agency and any SPCA or other animal welfare groups in your area.

Oct 5, 2008, 09:51 AM

Appreciate your concern, been there, done that. Small town resources make dog laws bottom of the list. Nearest 'city' is over 100 miles away. Woman is a special needs school teacher (not in my kids' school, thank God!) and dogs are actually quite docile (I equate it with they've lost the will to live.)

My question at this point is what to do about MY dogs and why they are reacting as they are. I don't think my dogs are reading any animosity between myself and neighbor/dogs, as at first I didn't even have any idea she'd taken her dogs away or brought her dogs back until after I noticed my dogs' reactions.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 05:27 PM

I can't answer your question, but I would love it if you could print off this poem and send it to her. It may not do any good as you have already talked to her, but seeing an animals mental anguish in writing may make her think.

What a puppy knows

Before you click that chain,
    I may never be the same.

I'm cute and cuddly,
    And sometimes puddly.

Right now I'm small and don't know it all.
    Except what my mama told me about my Grandpa.

Here is the mistake his owner did make.
    I hope you will not want to do the same, for my sake.

Mistake some might say, he gave that old dog a place to lay
    And good food to eat everyday.

Yes mistakes, chained dogs can't greet you at the door,
    They can't lie by your feet on the floor.

Their life for you they would trade any day.
    How could they, if a chain, is where they must stay.

If that is your intention for me
    Just leave me be.

I see a lady that will love me
    And tell my grandpa's story.

Dog on a chain

On this chain is my home.
    Is this chain where I belong?

My master put me here many years ago.
    Just how many, I don't know.

Hes never happy when he visits, I feel so alone.
    If it will please him I'll find a new home.

Jumping to greet him only makes him yell.
    Sometimes I get a swift kick to the tail.

Where did I fail you, where did I go wrong?
    Please tell me, I so want to belong.

Days turn into cold lonely nights.
    Nights into days, I'm losing my sight.

My old eyes are yellow and covered in haze.
    My muzzle is scattered, with many shades of grays.

But never the less I'd be willing to play
    And give you my love the rest of my days.

Open your eyes dear one, awaiting you is a rainbow
    Why you had to endure this only your master knows.

Was it to teach?
    To many, I can make sure your story will reach.

Now you are free to romp and play
    And I believe to come back someday.

Oct 5, 2008, 06:09 PM

Again, please, I'm seeking advice from someone who understands dog behavior and dog commication and can tell me how to alleviate the stress my own dog feels from the next door lady's (if that is what it is.) Labman? Are you There?

Please, BushG, I understand your heartfelt concern. This woman is a control freak, #1, and a self-praising Christian #2. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!--?--)

She is NOT within my control. My dog IS.

I beg someone here to stay on topic to help me, not the nutty woman next door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Changing an adult dog's name [ 9 Answers ]

I am considering adopting a 2 year old dog with the name of "Baby Girl". This is a problematic name for me, because I currently have two female cats, and "baby girl" gets used a lot as a general term of affection in the household. Plus, I'm just not sure I want to be standing in dog park calling...

A dog's reaction to Frontline [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old miniture dachshund who is having an allergic reaction to the Frontline flea control that we just used on him on Tuesday night. His skin is itchy, there are small hives on the back of his neck, he is just uncomfortable. We took him to the vet and they told us to give him 1/2 a...

Dog's teeth [ 1 Answers ]

HI My 3 year old Mini Schnauzer had 11 teeth taken out on 03-05-08. She is eating OK ,I add hot water to her dry food then mush it up. But my big problen iss I can't get her to drink any water. She is not a very big dog only 16 lbs. I have always tried to give her the best of care and I am always...

Reaction Kinetics: Orders of Reaction. [ 2 Answers ]

I don't mean to be anal about this but I've recently stumbled upon this topic over the holidays and I'm thoroughly interested. What I fail to understand is Order's of Reactions with respect to & . Can someone give me a well concise explanation of this with a good example, say the decomposition...

My dog's behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed a strange behaviour in my dog, late this evening. He is 7 years of age and is a spitz dog. Today I suddenly found him restless about half an hour after he took his evening meal. He was shivvering in some kind of fear and was trying to hide himself at some corner. Or tried to enetr toilet...

View more questions Search