Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    opahabc123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Wet Drywall and Mold in Bathroom Walls
    Renting, so we will not spend ALL our money, however we are fixing the bathroom and have started peeling the latex paint off the enamel undercoat. Moisture is a problem as there is no fan and a very small window. We have areas of two paint layers, others of drywall (some wet) and some of one paint layer. Mushrooms growing where the front of the tub meets the wall is a big concern. Any ideas would be appreciated. Many Thanks.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 12:51 AM

Are you saying that you will need to fix the problems yourself? If you're renting, I would assume that the landlord would be responsible? Is that the case for you, please? Around where I live, the landlord would have to take care of the problems.

Thanks!
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 9, 2008, 11:24 PM
    You need to get the drywall removed, at least 4 ft up off the floor.

1- draw a level line 48 1/2" up off the floor

2- cut along the line with a sharp utility knife, it will take several strokes to cut clear through.

3- remove the drywall and clean out all the mould and ant other damage.
    Let this dry good and spray it with bleach several times.

4- install new drywall, get "green board" at home depot paper is green and moisture resistant.

5- apply mesh drywall tape on the joints, then drywall mud and smooth out, no ridges.

6- let that dry good and sand off the high spots and apply another coat. The testuring to match the rest of the room is the hard part,

7- Repaint the entire room

Good luck

Roger
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 10, 2008, 01:14 PM

Both the above posts are right on, it sounds to me that there are too many things going on for you fix it properly by yourself, the bathroom basically needs to be gutted. Like Clough said - Your landlord should fix it, if not you should consider moving.
    opahabc123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 06:38 PM

Many Thanks for the responses to our bathroom problem. Landlord has taken over and discovered a leak under the window. Years of wood rot and other nasty stuff will make us look for a new abode asap. Appreciate the help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall For Large Room- Walls and Ceiling [ 10 Answers ]

I have a space that is about 30' x 14' that needs to be drywalled, both walls and ceiling. Does anyone know what the approximate cost for something like that would be? There's currently paneling on the walls and a drop ceiling throughout, which is hung from bare beams on one side of the room and...

Drywall in bathroom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have gutted my entire bathroom. I am planning on installing regular drywall except near the tub/shower where I will use backer board. Is this OK? I thought since the walls behind the vanity and toilet will not have much if any direct contact with water it shouldn't be a problem. I am also...

Drywall, ceilings and walls [ 3 Answers ]

The house I am considering buying, most of the ceilings and walls are cracked. The house has been moved from its original location, this is a stick built home not a modular. If I have the ceilings and walls fixed will they crack again due to settling?

How to remove mold stains from Interior walls? [ 5 Answers ]

Manufactured home has mold/ mold stains on wall have sprayed with bleach mixture but stains still appearing on walls. I need help fast, this house is being sold soon, and this is not black mold that is toxic just regular mold

Mold on cinderblock walls [ 8 Answers ]

I have a mold problem on cinderblock walls that I need to fix and would like to take care of it myself. I have to obviously take care of what is happening outside the building so that the moisture doesn't get to the areas that have problems, but what can I do about the inside walls. I have been...

View more questions Search