Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melanie00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 05:16 PM
    A/C comes on for 3 seconds, shuts off & then starts up again
    I just moved into a new home and noticed that each time the A/C comes on it starts up for about 3 seconds, shuts off, then starts up again. This second start-up is when it stays on until the desired temperature is reached. I have a Honeywell SuperStat thermostat that is about four years old and the A/C unit is about 13 years old. Is this normal?
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Oct 4, 2008, 06:15 PM

No this is not normal. We call it short-cycling and it can cause damage to the system.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Sounds like a defective or out of range low/high pressure control. As MarkwithaK said this can cause damage so have your unit serviced right away.

Oct 5, 2008, 08:57 AM

As hvac1000 said, get it inspected by a local service company. I highly doubt that you have a low pressure control as they are not that common on residential systems but it does happen.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 11:22 AM
    A run capacitor can also cause this problem. Unit will start but not run. Check wiring to capacitor and compressor in outside unit.

Oct 5, 2008, 11:28 AM

With that old of a system it could also be a weak valve putting a larger load than normal on the system causing the internal overload to open. Could be a weak overload... just way to many options to diagnose without physically being there. Save yourself a ton of headache and call your service company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace shuts off after about 30 seconds [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new Weather King Furnace installed approx 18 months ago and a new climate technology thermostat as well. This is really the first time I've had to use the heater. The Furnace comes on for approx 30 seconds and shuts off. The A/C unit works fine. Any suggestions?:(

Shower shuts off after few seconds [ 2 Answers ]

I have just moved into a new apartment and the showers in both bathrooms have not worked properly since I moved in. 1. In the primary bathroom the cold water comes out in a trickle for both the tub faucet and the shower head. Maintenance has been over and even replaced the "seat" but did not make...

Furnace shuts off after a few seconds [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace will lite for few seconds then shuts off. How do I trouble shoot this. I have a rheem model # rgpn

A/C shuts off after a few seconds [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday, our A/C shut off and would not come back on. It shows on the digital thermostat that the fan is blowing cool (two different icons that appear and move) but the unit is NOT on. After leaving it off for the afternoon, my husband was able to turn it back on, but this lasted 30 seconds...

View more questions Search