Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deeday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Boss smoking in the office?
    I'm a non-smoker all my life, and have taken great care to keep far away from ciggies because my father's side of the family has a frightening history of lung cancer.

Another note: in Australia, it's illegal to smoke inside buildings. Australian No Smoking Legislation - Smoking Ban - No Smoking In The Workplace - Seton Australia

So, I recently got a new job, about 2-3 days ago as a web designer. However, my boss smokes inside the office. He's a top bloke, very nice guy and very helpful. But I don't really know if I should ask him to only smoke outside. And because it's centralized airconditioning the smell (and smoke whenever he walks around with a lit cig) really goes around.

I don't want to tell him to smoke outside because I'm a complete, COMPLETE newbie at the office, and he's a really kind man. But I don't want to inhale the smoke or the smell either, because frankly it's a health hazard.

What should I do?
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 09:27 PM

Sorry but perhaps you need to meet with him and state your concerns-ask him about the non-smoking policy at your work does it apply etc? You may want to tell him about your family history of cancer and that you are concerned, it may make you unable to work properly.

How are other workers with this?

I'm sure it is illegal and he would be unlikely to argue with you-if he decides to sack you-then he's screwed!

You need to ask advice from an employment lawyer ASAP- this will ultimateley be free initially, and make sure you have a no-win no pay option.

I KNOW ALL ABOUT THIS a similar situation occurred with me-firstly go to the lawyer-ring and get their advice, this will make a great case for them-very hard to lose if you get the sack over what is essentially an illeagal activity
    Cheers
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 09:49 PM

I would start by approaching him about it. Be straighforward but respectful. Its understandable that you might be uncomfortable, so if you don't feel you can be entirely straigtforward, you could even try an approach like, "hey, i didn't realize when i got this job you smoked inside, and you see, i'm allergic to smoke...would you mind terribly keeping it outside?" but I suggest just telling him your exact concerns. I don't suggest coming right out and threatening legal action, but be aware that it's probably an option for you (I know in the u.s. there's places for us to complain to, and from what I know australia is usually a few steps ahead of us. Lol)
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 09:59 PM

Cough, cough and cough some more. When he asks if you're OK, say, "I'm fine, really, it's nothing you're doing, it's just my lungs are abnormally sensitive. Don't mind me."

Then cough some more. A lot.
    deeday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 02:28 AM

Lol thanks for all your help!

Actually I've decided to quit. It's not just him who smokes inside... everybody does. The workplace is very uncomfortable (not to mention the boss turned out to be a bit of a sleazo). So I quit... There'd be more IT jobs out there for me, I know.

Thanks for all your help everyone! =)
    Bully girl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2013, 08:47 AM
    I work for a veterinarian who smokes none stop in hie office. As an employee I have to enter his office often to talk about cases in our clinic. First of all I don't smoke myself, I leave the office smelling of smoke, I hate the smell, which by the way is a cigar. Is he breaking some type of law?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully girl View Post
    Is he breaking some type of law?
    Is he? You will know your regional laws better than we will.

If he is, then what? Are you able to pursue the infraction safely? Would it you be able to keep your job if you did? What are the realities of your situation?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Office 2007 asks for Office 2000 installation discs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I used to run Office 2000 but uninstalled it and installed Office 2007. When I run the Spell Checker it does not function. When I try to run it, The computer tries to install it and then asks for the Office 2000 Installation disks. I insert the Office 2000 disks but then it...

Office 2003 can't open after uninstalling Office 2007 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I can't open any of my Office 2003 applications. A 'Widows Installer' box pops up, and asks for SKU112.CAB. I can't find my original install disks. I tried a solution I found, opening in safe mode and stopping msiexec.exe, but the laptop then showed a Error 1311. Source file not found....

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

Office 2003 vs office 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

OK, so my new tablet laptop has a 3-month free trial for MS Office 2003... my ? Is, if I create a bunch of documents in Office 2003, will I still be able to work/edit them in Office 2000 once the 3-month trial of Office 2003 is over?

View more questions Search