Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rocketmn9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Info of retired service dogs
    I joined this site because I was looking for information on retired service dogs for adoption. Does anyone have that sort of information?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 04:31 PM

Moved
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 07:49 PM

The best advice I can give you is to contact the service dog agency you are interested in and ask to be put on their waiting list. And then be prepared to wait. As I understand it, most service dog agencies offer the retired dogs to the person who had them first, then to the puppy raiser, and then to the people on the waiting list. So it can be a long wait before you come up for a dog.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Go to http://www.iaadp.org and look for schools in your area. It could be a wait, but after a lifetime of service, many of the dogs need a home. Usually if at all possible, their old partners keep them. The dogs lose all their access rights when they retire. Many of their partners live in pet free apartments and can't keep the old dog.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Go to http://www.iaadp.org and look for schools in your area. It could be a wait, but after a lifetime of service, many of the dogs need a home. Usually if at all possible, their old partners keep them. The dogs lose all their access rights when they retire. Many of their partners live in pet free apartments and can't keep the old dog.

Also, some former assistance dogs need homes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Service Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I not go with my service dog and do I have to have proof of certification?

Retired? [ 7 Answers ]

This is funny too. ________________________________ ________________________________ What do retired people do all day?? Well , for example , the other day my wife and I wentinto town and went into a shop. We were only there for about 5 minutes. We came out , there was a cop writing out a...

Looking for Retired Service Dog [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. I live in the State of Washington and am looking to adopt a retired service dog. I would prefer either a German Shepherd or a Labrador, but am open. Can anyone guide me as to where I might find such an animal or am I dreaming?

Retired Service Dogs? How to find them. [ 2 Answers ]

I've always loved the labs. Since I'm too old to take on any more puppies, I was thinking that when my Cricket (Springer mix) goes, I'd like to see about adopting a retired service dog. How does one find them? About what age are they retired. Is there anything we need to know before getting...

View more questions Search