Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2006, 05:52 PM
    Claiming Non-resident spouse & child as dependents
    Hello,

My wife came to US (H4 visa) for the first time in 2006 & was in the US for 3 months. She left for India and we had a baby last month. She will be back
    In the US along with the child only in Feb 2007.

1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife when I
    File Tax for 2006?

2) Can I include my child as dependent when we file taxes for 2006 though
    She will not be in the US in 2006?

3) Does filing an extension help?

Thanks for your replies. It will help in planning my wife & child's return to the US.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 25, 2006, 10:12 PM
    1) Yes.

2) No; child has to live with you in the U.S. for at least six months.

3) No.
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Thanks a lot AtlantaTaxExpert.

I had one more question regarding Resident Alien status.

I am on H1B visa. If I leave US for good and return to my home country, say in Feb 2007, should I file 2007 taxes as a Residen Alien or a Non-resident Alien.

I would be satisfying the substantial presence test for 2007

2007 : 31 days (at least)
    2006 : 324/3 = 108
    2005 : 288/6 = 48

Total days = 187

Is it a sufficient condition to meet substantial presence test for filing as a resident alien or is it just a necessary condition but not sufficient by itself?

In some other forum, I read that in the last year of residency, the day
    we leave, the resident status is lost (since I am on H1B) even if we satisfy
    the substantial presence test. Is there any rule like that?

Should I be filing as a resident alien in 2007 or non-resident alien?
    Any pointers/information would be great. I tried going through the IRS publications, it is just confusing.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 26, 2006, 08:12 PM
    If you leave for good in Feb 2007, you would file as a resident alien for 2006 and a dual-status alien for 2007. Substantial presence is required, but it is NOT the ONLY requirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse Resident Status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mexican Citizen currently on OPT, changing status to H1B in October. A while ago you advised me to file as a married resident, so I could be able to take the standard decuction, and my child deduction. I have a couple of questions: 1) I know I can file as resident, since I'll be working...

Spouse resident of different state [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on green card, while my spouse is on F1. I live in California, while my spouse lives in NY. For federal tax purposes, 1. I have to use 1040 if filing jointly ? (Can I get benefit from tax treaties for my wife's income ?) 2. For California, I can file 540 NR, married filing jointly,...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

How to find out who is claiming my child [ 5 Answers ]

My son's mother and I have not been together in over five years, my son is now 9 and has lived with me exclusively for the past five years. Each year I have tried to claim my son as a deduction and each year I have been told that someone else has claimed him. I asssumed it was his mother, but I...

Resident or non-resident alien child? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a peculiar problem that is unanswered after 3 days of searching online. I am a resident alien in the US, and my wife and son joined me on a dependent H-4 visa on November 19,2005. My son was born earlier on in the year outside the country. So, my question is, can my baby...

View more questions Search