Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amateur_vince Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2006, 05:02 PM
    Help - What to do with the Grounding Wires
    Because of brown waters, I want to re-run the hot/cold water pipes for the entire house. But there is one major problem, the existing galvanized pipes had some grounding wires attached to them and I'll plan to use the PEX pipe. I have no ideas how to run the new grounding wires when I take out all the existing galvanized pipes. Please help.

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 25, 2006, 01:45 AM
    Can you tell me what these wires are for? Here should only be a couple of wires at the entrance where the water line comes into the building.

May 25, 2006, 09:19 PM
    Here is what I saw, there is a copper wire out of the 125 Amp circuit panel, I believe this is a grounding wire which is then clamped onto the old, rust galvanized pipes. I also saw there's an grounding clamp on the incoming supply water line to the water heater. My intention is to replace all the old galvanized pipes with a product called PEX tubing. This is basically plastic water lines. How would this grounding be done with the plastic water lines when I replace the galvanized pipes?

Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2006, 03:32 AM
    OK what you have is a normal grounding system. The ground wire will need to be replaced and redirected so that it connects to two 8 foot copper ground rods, that must be driven in the earth.

If any of the metal water pipe is still exposed , esp the incoming line, you must still connect the ground wire to it also.

The two rods must not be closer to each other than six feet apart. The new ground wire must come from the panel and connect to each of the rods ,and the wire must not have any splices. Use approved wire connectors to clamp the wire to the ground rods.

The wire must be a minimum of #6 copper, and must connect to the same location in the panel as the existing ground wire.

You may need to be careful when you work on or disconnect the existing ground wire, as it may be carrying fault currents to ground, there is a chance to feel a shock if you disconect the wire and get between the wire and a grounded surface, like the existing metal water pipe.

May 26, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Thanks for a quick response, I have a long week end coming up and I want to get this done. Based on your response, I have layout the following steps and the order that I'll plan to do.

1. Install the two ground rods outside of the house and the distance between them must be at least 6 feet or more.

2. the new ground wire must be a minimum of #6 copper, and it must be long enough from the circuit panel to the two outside ground rods. This wire must not have any splices.

3. Use the approved wire connectors to clamp the wire to the ground rods.

4. Replace the existing ground wire that's currently clamping on the galvanized pipes with the new ground wire, which have been set up from prior steps.

5. As for the existing ground wire from the water heater, I'm not very clear here. Can I get another #6 copper ground wire that is long enough from the water heater to the circuit panel and from there I'll use the clamp to piggyback on the new ground wires?

I'm just a dump person with very limited of eletrical knowledgel, but I'm willing to willing to learn. I hope you can give me feed back or suggestions for the above steps.

Thanks again for your help.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2006, 04:48 PM
    You were fine up to the water heater. Why is there a wire frm the heater? I am not sure this is necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding Bar vs. Neutral Bar? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all. I have extended the wires from an unused 240 outlet to the backyard for a spa via a sub-panel. I also hooked up a new grounding electrode near it to avoid having to run a fourth wire all the way back to the main panel. This fourth wire goes to the small grounding bar in the sub-panel...

Generator grounding [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a 4400/3500 watt generator for a building project. The directions say that I need to ground the generator with a suitable grounding rod and stranded No. 12 AWG wire. I have never heard of contractors grounding their generators. Are they being careless, or are my generator...

Where to install a Grounding Rod [ 14 Answers ]

My house is about 20 years old and I do not have a grounding rod installed. Although all the wiring is grounded to the water pipes, I would still like to install one. My question is how close or far from the main electrical box should the grounding rod be installed? On on the other side of the...

3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR [ 2 Answers ]

I need help connecting a motor for my pool. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere. I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. ...

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search