Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused25 Posts: 319, Reputation: 98

May 24, 2006, 01:20 PM
    Applying for Jobs
    Hey Everyone,

Well I'm applying for summer jobs at a bunch of fast-food restaurants that are highering. I just wanted to know how long does it normally take for them to call you back? Thanks!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 03:05 PM
    There is no set answer.

It depends on where you live, the status of the restaurants, etc.

It could be a few days, could be a few weeks.

Keep applying to jobs and be patient.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 24, 2006, 03:45 PM
    I will agree with the Captain, many may hire you on the spot ( I know some local ones that have done that) the main thing is to keep checking back with them ( not at busy time) remember the ast manager you gave your app, may not have any real authority, and the person who does the hiring is in a office 1/2 across town.

If you keep asking, they may well get tired of seeing you and give you a chance.

May 25, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Thanks for the help! Another question I have that's related to this. How long should you wait before you go back and ask to know the status of your application? I also applied for a paid internship on Monday. When do you guys think would be the best time to go and ask for the status of my application pertaining to the fast food job and the internship?
    prefabber Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2006, 09:45 AM
    It all depends on timing. You have to show them that you really want the job,whether it fast food or major company. But once you get the job make sure that you give them 100%.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2006, 10:38 AM
    This is something that really should be dealt with at interview time. Before you leave, ask them for a time frame for when they will get back to you. In the absence of that a week should be reasonable.

One of the biggest mistakers I've seen, especially by youths looking for part time work, is appearance. Whenever you go on any job interview, make sure you a dressed neatly, groomed cleanly and not outlandish.

May 25, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Well I'm talking about the wait period between turning in the application and getting the interview. After you turn in the application how long should you wait for a call about getting the interview?

Also a different question I just thought of: several applications ask for your Social Security Number. Is it safe to write it in, or should I just say something like "available upon request."?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Yes, you can write in the SSN.

As for follow-up between app and interview, again you can ask when you turn in the app. But a week still seems reasonable.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused25
    Also a different question I just thought of: several applications ask for your Social Security Number. Is it safe to go ahead and write it in, or should I just say something like "available upon request."?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Yes, you can write in the SSN.

As for followup between app and interview, again you can ask when you turn in the app. But a week still seems reasonable.
    I am hoping someone can clarify something for me:

Here in Canada, to work, you need a SIN (Social Insurance Number).

From my understanding, to work in the USA, you need a SSN (Social Security Number).

If a SSN is anything like a SIN, then you wouldn't want to give it out. Therefore, you should NEVER put it on an application form. You would only give that number to a company once they have hired you.

If I am incorrect in terms of American standards, please let me know.

Thanks.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Hi, confused,
    You have some good answers.
    I would like to add the following:
    On your application, be sure and give references, only for those who will give you a GOOD reference. Some places actually call those references, to find out about your character.
    I would go back, after you fill out your application, within two days. Ask about it. Show them you are interested, and want the job. Keep asking, about every other day. It might "speed up" things for you.
    As another said, it depends on your local area. Here in my own small town, a person usually gets a job like this within 2 or 3 days, if references are good.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.

May 31, 2006, 01:45 PM
    Hey again. Well I need some more help. I applied to a fast food place and I got an interview (it was at a job fair so it was an on the spot interview). It went well and the lady told me that they would give the applicants they liked best a call back on Tuesday. Okay that was yesterday and no call back. Would it be okay if I went to the particular location I applied to and asked them the status of my application. Or should I just move on and look somewhere else?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 31, 2006, 01:49 PM
    If I were you I would call back, ask to talk to the manager, then explain that you were at the job fair and were wondering if they knew the status of your application.

May 31, 2006, 02:15 PM
    Should I call or should I actually go to the place?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Applying for Portuguese citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

My father holds a Portuguese citizenship and passport and is now living with me in Canada. His wish is to reside in Portugual and as his daughter, I need me to look after him as he his old (76 years). I am a Canadian citizen holding Canadian passport and wish to apply for my portuguese...

Applying own hair extensions [ 1 Answers ]

Well I am after hair extensions. Heard the best way to apply them is kind of weaving then a loop thing... hmm, I don't know. Not gluing, cliping or heating. Apparently you can do it yourself/or a friend, and it is pretty successful. If any one can help me out, tell me what it's called, how its...

Applying H1B and H4 visa simultaneously [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm currently working in US. Need to apply H4 dependent visa for my spouse. Her H1B working visa has already been initiated. 1) When can she initiate H4 in this situation i.e. after getting the H1B petition or after H1B visa stamping is done? 2) If she can initiate H4 after...

Applying for dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a first generation american. My father is from Germany and my mother is a green card holder from france. I am desperately seeking information on how to obtain either an eu passport or a french passport. The web has not been very helpful and I have written many e:mails and placed...

Applying for French citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

I would like to know how long a person must be a resident in France before he or she is eligible to apply for full citizenship or permanent residency? I am currently in France studying and have been here for the last two years. Thanks!

View more questions Search