Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steveinphilly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2006, 01:17 PM
    Pay Rent or Quit in PA
    I have a tenant that I have repeatedly tried to work with over the course of his lease regarding paying the rent. It has gotten to the point where I can no longer deal with his inability to pay.

Including late fees, he is currently $1,985 behind on rent. That's $625/month (@ 3 months) plus a couple late fees. He does make "infrequent" payments that are never enough to cover the current month's rent and late fees.

During my last conversation with him, I told him - "Last chance, pay $500 every other week for the remainder of lease or your out". His chance to pay is coming due by the end of this week and I would like to be prepared in the event he misses payment.

My questions are these:
    1) How many days notice am I required to give for a "pay rent or quit" notice in PA? I believe it's three or five, but can't locate the info.
    2) Once served with this notice, and the days have elapsed, then do I file eviction papers at the courthouse?
    3) Am I missing any important steps?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 24, 2006, 03:55 PM
    By allowing him to make "infrequent" payments you may well have voided the actual lease, since you were allowing payments out of the written lease. If the other party takes proof of this to court. ( most likely he won't)

You have to have proof that he was given the notice. ( sorry I did not find PA, but here they get a 20 day notice)
    If you go down to the court where you file for eviction proceedings, often they have a printed form showing you requirements, or they may tell you.

Once you file for eviction at the court house, they will serve him with papers for a court hearing, you have to go to the hearing and present your case.

Then they will issue an eviction notice.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 25, 2006, 02:56 AM
    It's 10 days in PA (except for Mobile Home Parks).

See (a) and (b) here:
    http://members.aol.com/StatutesPA/68PA250.501.html

To see the PA Landlord and Tenant contents, start here:
    http://members.aol.com/StatutesPA/68.Cp.8.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay rent or quit notice [ 7 Answers ]

Renting an apartment in Kansas... just received a "quit or pay" notice "within 3 days". Can't pay. How long do I have before being evicted? What are the next steps? Thanks!

My Dog Just Quit Eating and Drinking [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old pit bull male that I got a few weeks ago from a friend who couldn't keep him. He has been drinking and eating just fine until Sunday(7/24) when I was informed that he has not been eating or drinking the past few days. He isn't living with me at the moment but is over at a...

Remote quit working [ 1 Answers ]

I have two ceiling fans and two remotes that work either fan.Both remotes quit working at the same time.Batteries are good.Any suggestions?

Dog that won't quit pooping inside [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old border collie cross, which has been house trained for the past three years. In the last six months he has started peeing and pooping in the house. He can be outside all day long and as soon as he comes into the house he immediately runs downstairs and poops. We can take him...

View more questions Search