Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 12:35 AM
    Parrots as loud as a rock concert?
    Can birds cause hearing loss? My Macaws can trumpet at 150 decibels. They don't do it at night, they sleep. During the day, they get going (occasional outbursts) for an hour in the morning and 2 hours in the evening when it's feeding time.

Unless they are all throwing a fit at the same time, and not responding to my requests to quiet down, I tune it out. Visiting family and friends wince at the loudness when they come in. Should I be concerned about hearing loss?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 12:40 AM

At around 125 dB, pain begins.

At around 140, the intensity of sound is the same as a gun blast or a jet engine at about 100 feet, which is also the threshold of "permanent damage"..

... so I'm going with yes.

Are you sure it's 150?. I'm assuming your neighbors can hear
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2008, 12:47 AM

Hi, simoneaugie!

You might also want to check out what's on the following thread.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/energy...em-253844.html
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 01:22 AM

My neighbors hear them too. I hear them 5 blocks from home. A vet had his eardrum "blown" while examining a Macaw (not one of mine.) There are people who work in bird shops who wear attenuators.

Distance from the sound is a factor, right? Is there anything I could do with my walls or windows that would help absorb the sound? They are in a large echoing room.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2008, 01:29 AM

Installing some acoustical tiles on the walls and perhaps large drapes on windows should help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holy Parrots. [ 4 Answers ]

A lady goes to her priest one day and tells him, 'Father, I have a problem. I have two female parrots, But they only know how to say one thing.' 'What do they say?' the priest inquired. They say, 'Hi, we're hookers! Do you want to have some fun?' That's obscene!' the priest exclaimed, Then...

Christmas concert to holiday concert [ 4 Answers ]

At my school we always had a concert called the christmas concert. Then we had a new jewish principal who wanted to change it to the holiday concert. There was an extremely large debate over this and still going on. Any advice?

Loud rock concert at 25 weeks [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Back in January long before I even thought of getting pregnant, I bought tickets to go and see the Kings of Leon in concert in December. I still want to go, obviously, but my husband is worried that it'll be too loud for the baby! I'll be around 25 weeks by then and he keeps reading...

View more questions Search