Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shartley123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Is there a time limit on being garnished
    Do you have to be on a job for a specific Time before they can garnish your income? I only work 4 months out of the year, can they garnish me? I am in Indiana and really curious about this
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Oct 1, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Until and unless someone posts some information specific to Indiana we can provide the following general information.

A garnishment, like any enforcement remedy, can be exercised at any time so long as a judgment remains enforceable. How long judgments remain enforceable vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shartley123 View Post
    do you have to be on a job for a specific Time before they can garnish your income? I only work 4 months out of the year, can they garnish me? I am in Indiana and really curious about this

Yes, they can file a garnishment against any wages as long as the Judgment is "alive." They could - technically - file against you if you only worked one day.

The garnishment cannot leave you penniless: "Under federal law, you cannot garnish more than 25% of the debtor's disposable income. There is an additional protection for low-income people: A wage earner must be left with a weekly wage equal to 30 times the current federal minimum wage -- which has been $5.15 since June 2000. This means that the debtor gets to keep the first $154.50 per week; you can garnish 25% of the excess. (15 U.S.C. §1673(a)(1).)"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reversing Divorce--time limit [ 3 Answers ]

My husband filed for divorce in February 2008. He said he did this "to get my attention" (to tear up the prenup and put him on my bank accounts). We were back together the next weekend. In March 2008 I was served with the divorce papers and I had 30 days to file an answer. He signed a paper...

Is there a time limit to get 2nd summons? [ 1 Answers ]

I keep checking the court docket to check on a complaint that was filed 10/30/07 by Asset Acceptance and this is what I keep seeing (below), nothing has changed since 12/06/07 and want to know if they have a certain amount of time to get a 2nd summons since they never served me with the first one...

Need to set a time limit on my DVDs I produce [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find a program to write to my DVDs that I produce that will make the DVD unusable after 90 or 365 days. I am using Roxio MYDVD studio 9 to burn my DVD. The only actual burning program I have found (InAlbum) that has an expiration date built in is NOT a program I want to use. ...

Computer Time Limit [ 6 Answers ]

What is a healthy amount of time to be 'online' before it is considered an addiction?

View more questions Search