Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    punkloverjade Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Cosinger On a car loan
    Im a Co Singer on a car loan for my now ex. I have asked him many times to refinance the car in just his name. He now has a new GF and she in the hospitla and he just doesn't want to take the time to get this stuff taken care of. If there any way I can get my name off the loan with out him being there?
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Oct 1, 2008, 08:49 PM
    It is theoretically possibly, although highly unlikely, that the finance company could release you if you so asked.

We assume that your ex-boyfriend's credit rating was inadequate to finance the car on his own and that is why you were asked to co-sign the loan. If this is the case the finance company is unlikely to release you even if your ex-boyfriend agrees. The only exceptions would be if his credit was good enough to refinance on his own or another person took your place as the co-signor.

Needless to say so long as you are part of the contract you are exposed to a potential liability if your ex-boyfriend defaults on the loan.
    punkloverjade Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 08:58 PM

If I rember right he could have gotten the loan. We put me on it to help both our credit. We where getting married and was tryng to get out scores up to buy a houes. So if I call the loan people they might let me off the loan if his score is still good?
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Oct 1, 2008, 09:27 PM
    As we said it's possible but highly unlikely. Once a lender has you locked up as a co-signer they generally don't want to let you go since it doubles their chances of collecting their money in the event of default.

You, of course, have nothing to lose at this point in making the request.

Since your ex-boyfriend is supposedly too busy to deal with this you could also find out what paperwork is necessary to remove or substitute you from the contract, get it ready, and simply present it to him to execute. That is if it can, in fact, be done that easily.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 06:49 AM

It is very doubtful, whose name is on the title also, do both of you own it, or is he the owner and you only on loan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I get a 401 K loan or Home Equity loan [ 4 Answers ]

I owe about $ 25,000 on various credit cards with interest ranging from 17 % to 30 %. I am barely able to make the minimum payments. In addition, I owe $14,000 ($ 500 a month) on the car with 7 % and 3 years to go. Because I have bad credit, I was able to get one bank to offer me a Home Equity...

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

View more questions Search