Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gilda65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Pending Judgement
    I just received a letter from an attorney's office, informing me that Capital One "authorized them to persue legal action which includes, but not limited to, filing a judgement" against me. They also said I had ten days from the date of the letter, to get in touch with them to make "arrangements" to avoid this action. Then a few sentences later, it said, "you must send full payment within ten days..." No, I was not previously informed by Capital One, they were going to do this.

I am barely making mortgage payments, my partner is out of work. What can they do to me?:confused: can they take my house? Seize what little I have left in my bank account?
    Should I contact a lawyer? Please help.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Oct 1, 2008, 08:41 PM
    The exact remedies available to you will vary upon which jurisdiction you are in (please advise which state or province you are in).

If the threat of legal action is genuine and no "arrangements" are made then legal action will likely follow. If Capital One obtains a judgment against you then enforcement proceedings could be commenced up to and including the seizure and sale of your property (ie. House, bank account, wages etc.).

A word of caution, and one that JudyKayTee is often diligent about pointing out, the debt that Capital One is pursuing could be statute barred. (Again identifying which jurisdiction you are in will aid in this assessment.)

If the debt is statute barred then any acknowledgement or payment from you at this point could revive or extend the limitation period.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 06:54 AM

Most likely they will allow you to make payments if you contact them. If you don't pay or set up a payment plan, most likely they will file a law suit against you. If you get sued, they may get a judgement.

Depending on where you live, they may be able to garnish your paycheck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2008, 07:01 AM

At this point they are simply dunning you. If you don't pay, then they could file suit with the consequences previously indicated. Its unlikely they could affect your primary residence, but they could garnish your salary or attach other assets.

What you have not told us is whether the debt is valid and how old it is. With more info we can give more advice.
    Gilda65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Thank you Justice, Fr. Chuck and Scott.

I reside in California (Sacramento), the Debt is a couple of years old.

I decided to write a letter to their office, asking for more information regarding this issue, and if possible, if something could be worked out to avoid such a dilema. I kept a copy for myself.

I prefer to have a "written paper trail" -vs- "give us a call" because then they can't say I didn't contact them, and have proof I attempted to work things out, was this an appropriate step to take?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2008, 07:03 AM

Yes this was an appropriate step and you have the right to demand that all correspondence be by mail.

Just don't make any payments until you have an agreement in writing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I-751 pending [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I divorced my wife before completing the two years of conditional residence. I was called for an interview where I brought all the documents to prove that my marriage was real. The interviewer was really nasty and treated me as a criminal and at the end she told me that I needed to bring more...

Pending judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I had a company for many years and lost a contract and went Chapter 7-the company was a S corporation, I did not go chapter 7 for myself and now 4 years later am facing a creditor who is holding me personally responsible, and is going for a judgement. I am now employed in a commission based job, do...

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

Judgement pending [ 2 Answers ]

We live in Texas which does not have a wage garnishment except for child support and taxes, can the judgement transfer to another state that my husband gets paid out of that does have a garnishment law? We have been in Texas for 13 years.

View more questions Search