Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wflorence Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Issue with Goodman GMP series gmp 050-3
    Hello everyone, I have an issue with my furnace. It just recently started happening, when running the ac the unit gets to the set temperature and then the unit clicks as if where going off and clicks again and keeps running. I looked inside and didn't see the status light blink.. Any help here?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 05:05 PM
    If the inside unit is doing this your A/C fan relay is probably defective.

Does the outside unit turn off but the inside unit stays running? If that is the case see above .

Oct 1, 2008, 05:28 PM
    No If I turn off the outside the unti goes of completley...

Oct 1, 2008, 05:36 PM
    I did test a few things... I replaced the thermostat, still issue... I looked again for flashing indicatiors... didnt see any.. I run the ac... set temp at 71 degrees... temp gauge gets to 71 it clicks as if its turning of, and clicks again and stays running. If I go out to the unit and turn it off.. When I turn it on again, it runs and some times clicks off when its supposed to.

Oct 1, 2008, 06:14 PM
    The question is if you just leave the outside unit alone and when the inside cuts off or clicks does the outside unit turn off and the inside keeps running?

Oct 1, 2008, 06:29 PM
    All keep Running... inside and outside

Oct 1, 2008, 07:19 PM
    If everything keeps running when the thermostat is satisfied then

The thermostat is bad or wired incorrectly.
    Check by marking all wires on the thermostat and removing all of them from the thermostat. Turn power back on. At that point nothing should run. If the unit still runs then you have a low voltage wiring short somewhere between the disconnected thermostat and the units or a relay or other device is defective and locked/burnt in the on position.

Oct 1, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Thanks... I will check it out tomorrow.. I appreciate it.

Oct 2, 2008, 03:06 PM

Okay... the thermostat is off and the fan turns on... how much is this going to cost me?

Oct 2, 2008, 03:08 PM
    I meant I removed the thermostat and the wires are out... flipped the switch... after a little bit it turned on for about 1-2 minutes now its off..

Oct 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Okay its been a little while and the unit has not turned back on again... Any ideas?

Oct 2, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Is the thermostat still disconnected? If so then since it has not turned back on the thermostat is in question and also the thermostat wiring could be shorted.

Oct 2, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Okay... I got a little excited when I got home to fix this... I turned off the outside switch, pulled my thermostat... made sure the wires where not touching and re-connected them. Put the thermostat back on and it worked fine... shut off with out the clicking noise... so I set the thermostat to off... unit came on after a bit... I then remembered what you said and about pulling the thermostat and leaving the wires bare... so I shut her down and did that. It fired up for about 2 min and then shut off... the thermostat is still off and the unit hasn't come on, I was wondering had I left the thermostat on would it have done the same thing.

Oct 2, 2008, 04:40 PM
    This is a new thermostat, I hope all of this makes sense..
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Disconnect the thermostat wires from the furnace board and see what happens.

Oct 2, 2008, 05:48 PM
    I think I am good... I reconnected the thermostat after letting my unit sit with the switch on and no thermostat on.. and she didn't fire back up... sooooo it put the thermostat back on... ran it at 67, thermostat reached 67 and cut off... next I turned of unit by thermostat and she has come back on.. so far so good...

Oct 2, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Sorry about that... didnt make much sense on the last one... I reconnected the theromstat... set the temp to 67 unit turned on and turned off at 67 with no clicking... next I turned off the unit by the thermostate... unit turned off and did not turn back on so far... I am think I did a good job of hooking the wires up this time... I also wrapped them with electrical tape so there would be no short or wire exposed.

Oct 2, 2008, 07:17 PM
    I think you might have got it right this time. LOL If not post back.

Oct 2, 2008, 08:25 PM
    I hope so, thanks to you! Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman GMP075-3 ignition issue [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMP075-3 furnace. The draft inducer comes on, the control board clicks, the ignitor bar glows, the control board clicks again and the glow bar stops glowing. It seems like the gas valve isn't opening to allow gas to ignite, at all. I've replaced a rollout switch, the flame sensor...

Goodman Heater issue [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have GMP075-3 model of a Goodman gas furnace. The heater would make the sounds that it was beginning to work. I could see the ignitor light but then nothing else would happen. The repair guy came and said the Burner roll-out limit was somehow tripped the other day. Possibly from a down...

Goodman cpke 30-18 control issue [ 3 Answers ]

I Have a goodman heatpump/air conditioner and the inside blower does not come on causing the compressor to ice up. If I play with the blower controles then it comes on but a few days later it happens again. Only in Air not heat. I replaced the controls (thermostat) no joy.. any help?

Goodman series furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Seems to heat okay, but keeps cycling while running and makes a humming noise. Seems to come from the combustion motor. Any ideas?

Goodman Furnace Issue - Heater won't work, no fire [ 1 Answers ]

My Goodman heater won't fire up. When I turn the heat on, the sequence of events: 1) Small fan at top section turns on. 2) Heating element turns on, bright red. The system sounds like it is trying to turn on. 3) Then the bright red goes off. The fire does not light. The fan does not start 4)...

View more questions Search