Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andyhaus1057 Posts: 98, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Persuasive essay
    Hi,

I need to write a persuasive essay to the Senator on a smoking ban on all public places including parks, restaurants, bars, public buildings, schools, hospitals, and sports facilities. This includes the indoor facilities and 1000 feet from the buildings entrances.

It doesn't have to be that long, just 2 main paragraphs followed up by 2 small paragraphs (4 paragraphs total)

Here is what I have so far.. Can you help?

Mrs. Claire McCaskill
    PO Box 300077
    St. Louis, Missouri 63130

Dear Mrs. McCaskill:

I am writing you in reference to ban smoking in local parks, restaurants, bars, public buildings, school, hospitals, and sports facilities. In my opinion, I believe that smoking in public places should be prohibited. There are many reasons I feel this way. One is it makes your clothes smell even if you are not the one smoking. Another reason is that I personally can't breathe normally because of my asthma. Second hand smoke contains more than 250 chemicals known to be toxic or cancer causing. Second hand smoke is not easy to avoid because about one in four people smoke. Second hand smoke is extremely harmful to children. Children who do breathe in this smoke are more likely to suffer from pneumonia, bronchitis, and other lung diseases. They also suffer from more ear infections and are more likely to develop asthma. Senator McCaskill, did you know that 5 minutes if exposure to second hand smoke is equal to smoking one cigarette? 20 minutes of exposure can do as much damage as smoking a pack of day, and 30 minutes of exposure results in stiffened, clogged arteries. There are many states that are taking a stand and have adopted the Clean Indoor Act. Citizens in Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana are passing ordinances in some of their county's that restrict smoking in public places. And I believe that you should do the same for the state of Missouri.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhaus1057 View Post
    Hi,

I need to write a persuasive essay to the Senator on a smoking ban on all public places including parks, restaurants, bars, public buildings, schools, hospitals, and sports facilities. This includes the indoor facilities and 1000 feet from the buildings entrances.

It doesn't have to be that long, just 2 main paragraphs followed up by 2 small paragraphs (4 paragraphs total)

Here is what I have so far.. Can you help?

Mrs. Claire McCaskill
    PO Box 300077
    St. Louis, Missouri 63130

Dear Mrs. McCaskill:

I am writing you in reference to ban smoking in local parks, restaurants, bars, public buildings, school, hospitals, and sports facilities. In my opinion, I believe that smoking in public places should be prohibited. There are many reasons why I feel this way. One is it makes your clothes smell even if you are not the one smoking. Another reason is that I personally can't breathe normally because of my asthma. Second hand smoke contains more than 250 chemicals known to be toxic or cancer causing. Second hand smoke is not easy to avoid because about one in four people smoke. Second hand smoke is extremely harmful to children. Children who do breathe in this smoke are more likely to suffer from pneumonia, bronchitis, and other lung diseases. They also suffer from more ear infections and are more likely to develop asthma. Senator McCaskill, did you know that 5 minutes if exposure to second hand smoke is equal to smoking one cigarette? 20 minutes of exposure can do as much damage as smoking a pack of day, and 30 minutes of exposure results in stiffened, clogged arteries. There are many states that are taking a stand and have adopted the Clean Indoor Act. Citizens in Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana are passing ordinances in some of their county's that restrict smoking in public places. And I believe that you should do the same for the state of Missouri.
    Let's see... You use the words "second hand smoke" too often. This is an awfully long paragraph and can be split into two or three paragraphs easily. Never start a sentence with a number, you have "20 minutes..." starting a sentence.

While I see your argument, and you have some good ideas on the subject, it can be refined to make your assignment complete without adding any more. However, whenever writing my congressman/woman for school, I had to add data that supported my argument whether it be from the internet or scholarly articles. I don't see where you have that here.
    em_03 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 03:12 PM

Also... try to do an introduction.. that sounds more like a body paragraph. An introduction includes an attention-getter, a transition into the thesis and, a thesis. That will help organize the letter a lot more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Persuasive and objective essay [ 3 Answers ]

How can you treat the subject of your essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of your point of view?

Persuasive essay [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble coming up with a thesis statement ,there has been so many essays done on this subject can anyone give me some ideas.The topic Is Outsourcing jobs To Foreign Countries:confused:

Persuasive essay [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm felicia and I want to know Ho can you treat the subject of your essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of your point of view?

Effective persuasive writing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi class I am new and I really need help with my on line classs bad:eek: :eek:

Effective Persuasive writing [ 2 Answers ]

How can I treat the subject of an essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of my point of view?

View more questions Search