Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justice79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Summons of Debt!
    Hi. I was wondering if someone could help me.
    I just received a summons of debt and I'm asked to show up to court.
    Well first of all I was wondering if I had to show up and if I did what would it be about? Settling payments? Going to jail? It might sound like stupid questions but I really don't know. And if I didn't show up what kind of consequences would follow?
    Thank you so much
    justice79:)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2008, 11:12 AM

First, yues, you want to show up. If you don't, it means the plaintiff will get a default judgement.

Second there are umpteen threads in this forum that deal with this issue and I suggest you review them.

No you won't go to jail, debtor's prison died out in the 19th century. But, if the plaintiff can get a judgerment, then may be able to garnish your wages, attach bank accounts or other assets.

Oct 1, 2008, 12:52 PM

Please don't use e-mail to ask a follow-up. Use the Answer This Question, Quote User or Quick Rpley options to post a reply to the thread.
    justice79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
    OK well so
    Is there any sense of contacting my credit company to make any kind of settlement?
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 1, 2008, 01:34 PM

I think the time for trying to settle was before they sent you a summons of debt when they wanted to talk you didn't so now they want to take you to court I imagine you received a number of calls and letters prior to this. How old is the debt? If it is within the sols and they can prove the debt is yours they will most likely get a judgement and as stated in the post above they can go after wages, bank accounts etc. You can try to make a settlement and see where it takes you.
    Mbell1960 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandeasy View Post
    I think the time for trying to settle was before they sent you a summons of debt when they wanted to talk you didn"t so now they want to take you to court I imagine you received a number of calls and letters prior to this. How old is the debt? If it is within the sols and they can prove the debt is yours they will most likely get a judgement and as stated in the post above they can go after wages, bank accounts etc. You can try to make a settlement and see where it takes you.
    I was told that you could still settle even if there was a garnishment or lien placed on you. Am I correct? Ask your attorney
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 6, 2008, 06:08 PM

Why would I ask my attorney? Or did I misunderstand. What you are asking? Please be more specific with your postings to keep down confusion

Oct 6, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbell1960 View Post
    I was told that you could still settle even if there was a garnishment or lien placed on you. Am I correct?? ask your attorney

You can settle at any time IF the creditor is willing to accept a settlement. But once they have won a judgement and set up a garnishment there is little incentive to settle.
    kayebird Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 7, 2008, 03:38 PM

Who is suing you, an original creditor or a collection agency/junk debt buyer (JDB)? You have the option of filing an answer and requesting discovery to make them prove their case if it is a debt collection company who bought the debt. If you don't do something, they will get a judgment against you.
    Mbell1960 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 06:39 AM

Some of all. How can you do something when you have nothing to do it with?

Oct 8, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbell1960 View Post
    some of all. How can you do something when you have nothing to do it with?
    Can you explain what you are talking about? I haven't a clue.
    mlr08 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2008, 02:05 PM

I know that all of this can be so confusing. That's why SO many people fail to respond to their lawsuits and end up w/ ruined credit and garnished wages.

Check out this article that I found, it cleared up a lot of the misperceptions I had: Served a Summons Or Credit Card Debt Lawsuit - Don't Call the Creditor!

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt Summons [ 35 Answers ]

I recently received a summons for a credit debt. I have 20 days to respond. My question is how do I respond? I do not know where to begin. I was looking at Mr.Yet's sticky on notice of intend to defend but is that what I need? Other problems are I do not remember how long ago this debt was put...

Summons for 10 yr old c.c. Debt [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a summons for (2) credit cards that were charged off in 1998. The total is approx. $3200 and there was no activity on either account for 7 yrs. In 2006 my wife, unknowingly started to make payments on a collection notice sent to us from Asset Acceptance. They had called and...

Summons for Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have received a summons (the law office taped to my door this morning) in response to a debt from when I was in college from Chase Manhatten Bank. The origonal amount I owed was around $1500 but this was years ago and I've moved several times so now it's @ $3500. The law firm had been calling my...

Summons for old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in court for an old credit card debt (I think my last payment was in 2000 or 2001). The SOL in the state in which I resided at the time has expired. How do I prepare myself for court? Or, does the plaintiff have to prove their case? Any help is appreciated! ...

View more questions Search