Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lcycttn_1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 09:11 AM
    401k plan
    How do I go about finding a 401k account from an old job in anouther state, also how do I go abut withdrawing it

>Moved from Forum Help<
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 05:44 AM

First you have to find out who the plan administrator is, then it's simply a mater of calling them to request a withdrawal. Or you can transfer your old 401(k) to a rollover IRA and make a withdawal from there - in some cases (not all) you can avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty this way. Now, to determine who the administrator is: you should be receiving quarterly statements from them - if not, perhaps you didn't notify them of your change of address when you moved. Did you keep any of the old statements? Their contact info should be on it. Failing that, try calling your old company and ask someone in HR. Or if you have kept in touch with any old colleagues ask one of them. Failing that, you could try searching the state's database of unclaimed assets. All states have laws that require financial institutions to turn over assets of accounts of clients who they can no longer contact. If you have not been receiving statements it's posible that the administrator has turned your account over to the state. Do a Google search on "unclaimed assets" together with the name of the state, and you should be able to get to a web site that allows you to search to see if your old account has been turned over. Lastly, I have heard (but haven't verified) that the SSA may be able to help - so you can try calling them. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My new employer has no 401k plan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I hope this question is relevant for this forum. I got laid off from my employer in Aug, where we had a 401k plan, in which I have put in less than the annual IRS limit of $14k. Let's say I only put in $9k. My new employer does not have a 401k yet. So is there anyway I can still put...

401K Plan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi had a 401k planwith previous employer and now seven years later I do not know how to go about getting it back or even what happen to it please help.

401k plan [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find my past job's 401k that I still have

Using 401K Plan [ 2 Answers ]

We were financially set back several years ago, due to my husband getting injured at work and previous child support. We have most of our bills paid up. But we are living in a 2-bedroom trailer with 4 children including two teenagers. We can't get a loan without cleaning more of the credit up and a...

View more questions Search